Libertarian Candidate Advocates Shrinking Government

Browne Suggests Abolishing Income Tax, Social Spending, War on Drugs; Says His Party Will Emerge as a 'Second Force'

The United States government is oversized and largely unnecessary, the Libertarian Party's presidential candidate told 200 people at the Kennedy School's Institute of Politics.

The candidate criticized government funding for Social Security, welfare, foreign aid and the "war on drugs," saying many current government services belong in the private sector.

"The federal government is good at breaking your legs, handing you a crutch and then saying, 'see if it wasn't for us you couldn't walk,'" Browne said.

Browne pointed to well-intentioned government subsidies for education as an example of a government program that does more harm than good.

"If you're going to have that student loan, then the farmer has to get a subsidy," Browne said.

In order to reduce the "cycle of dependency" of American citizens on the government, Browne proposed the "reduction of government to an absolute minimum."

He also advocated "selling government assets to pay off the national debt."

Browne has gone further in his campaign literature, saying the government should "immediately end the income tax."

"It's your money," Browne has written. "You earned it. You'll be free to spend it, save it or give more to your favorite charity."

Regarding the nation's moral agenda, Browne said he advocates passive government stance.

While he is personally "pro-life regarding abortion, Browne said "the government should stay out of it."

Browne, a financial adviser and lecturer, is the author of nine best-selling books, including his most recent "Why Government Doesn't Work."

Browne was guardedly optimistic about his chances in the upcoming elections.

"We could have made a big step if I was participating in the presidential debates," he said.

He received applause after adding, "We will elect a Libertarian president in 2000."

"The Libertarian Party is ready to step forward as a second force," he said. "There is little difference between Republicans and Democrats."

Stephanie Miller, a junior at M.I.T., said she appreciated Browne's thoughtfulness.

"The speech was very well thought out," she said. "He makes a hell of a lot more sense than Clinton or Dole."

Although Kyle L. Clayton '00 called Browne's speech "awesome," he said he was disappointed in the size of the crowd.

"I wish more people were interested," he said.