Politics, Morality Have No Place in Healthy Policy

TO THE EDITORS

Chris McFadden has a valid point concerning the misapplication of the word genocide to describe the AIDS virus: Using inaccurate words can be misleading and dangerous ("Quilts and the Moral Fabric," Oct. 17), which is why his glaringly incorrect characterization of AIDS in this country today is so frightening.

Read: AIDS is no longer a gay disease. Overwhelmingly, throughout the world, AIDS has become a disease of poor people, of young people and of minorities. These trends have been apparent since 1988. However, regardless of Chris McFadden's misinformation, do we as a society gave a lower priority to addressing the health concerns of those whose behavior we may disagree with? Do we, then, place a lower value on the lives of homosexuals? For this is the implication of the conclusion which Mr. McFadden draws from his assertion that AIDS is "acquired" through abnormal sexual behavior. It's logical then...to refuse to adopt the agendas of gay-rights advocates."

The flaw in Chris McFadden's argument is that he mistakes the health concerns of the gay rights advocates and, indeed, of all those who give priority to the AIDS virus, as political concerns. Thus, he legitimizes dismissing the disease. Though the religious right claims that AIDS is God's answer to homosexuality, no health issue should be a political or moral concern. --Liz C. Vladeck '99