President Visits Princeton

By Pamela S. Wasserstein

President Neil L. Rudenstine returned to his alma matter, Princeton University, yesterday afternoon to deliver a short speech at the school's 250th anniversary convocation.

Rudenstine spent a total of 24 years at Princeton, first as an undergraduate graduating in 1956, then later as a professor of English, dean of student life, dean of the college and provost.

"President Rudenstine delivered a witty reflection on Princeton's history, particulary focusing on the early history of the college," said Justin Harmin, director of communications at Princeton.

"President Rudenstine told me he felt very privileged to represent Harvard at [Princeton's] 250th anniversary," said Alex Huppe, Harvard's director of public affairs.

Before he left, Rudenstine said his comments would take the form of a "speechelt," according to Huppe.

"My role will be a modest one. It's to bring greetings from Harvard to Princeton," Rudenstine said in an interview Wednesday.

Rudenstine, in response to a question from the Yale Daily News, also said he would speak kindly of Harvard and Princeton's rival in New Haven.

"I will appropriately try to say something about Yale," Rudenstine said. In addition to Rudenstine, Yale President Richard Levin delivered a short speech. Leaders of several other institutions also participated in the ceremonies.

Rudenstine's returns to Princeton was apparently a success. "It was a very clever speech, very much appreciated by the audience," Harmin said.