Students Criticize Guard's Actions

The Harvard Development Office is preparing to lodge a complaint against a security guard after a confrontation Sunday between a group of students and the employee of the Boston-based Burns International Security company.

The incident occurred after several students arrived at University Place, located at 124 Mt. Auburn St., to attend a Harvard College Fund phone-a-thon training session, according to David W. Brown '97, who is a Crimson executive.

According to Brown, the students encountered the security guard, who said his name was George Baker, after calling security to gain entrance to the building.

One female student involved in the incident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said there was a sign on the door stating that access to the first floor was closed due to floor waxing.

The sign instructed those needing access to the building to call a security guard or enter through the garage.

Upon gaining entrance to the building, the students were confronted by Baker, who allegedly shouted, "Do any of you read English? I mean, can you read English?" apparently referring to the sign, Brown said.

Both Brown and the female student said that all but one of the students involved were minorities, and several were international students.

The female student said she asked the guard for his name and informed him that she was going to write a complaint to his supervisor in response to what she considered inappropriate behavior on his part. He identified himself as George Baker, she said.

She said she left the building in disgust after the confrontation but was followed by Baker, whom, she charged, demanded to know her name and waved his hand in her face.

The student said she informed Baker that unless he was going to call a supervisor, she did not want to speak to him.

Baker then informed the student that she was "not worth knowing," according to the student.

Accompanied by another security guard, the student and Baker both attempted to explain the incident to Corri Dretler, an employee of the Development Office who was in charge of training the phone-a-thon participants.

According to the student, Baker reported a conflicting version of the confrontation, leading to an argument between him and the student.

Dretler later informed the student that she would send a complaint to Baker's employer, the student said.

Director of Development Communications Andy K. Tiedemann confirmed yesterday that the Development Office is in the process of filing a complaint about the incident with the University Place management.

"We are committed to providing an environment for our callers that is conducive to work and safety," Tiedemann said.

Tiedemann would not comment further.

Burns International Operation Coordinator John A. Gillis said he had no knowledge of the complaint but said, "George is a very dependable employee, he's very reliable."

Baker and the University Place management did not respond to messages requesting their comment

Tiedemann would not comment further.