First Lady Gets Rousing Applause During Speech

Technology, Families Subject of Talk

Hillary Rodham Clinton made history yesterday, becoming the only first lady to ever speak at Harvard.

She alluded to a time in the perhaps not-so-distant future when the president's spouse will be a man.

"The appropriate title, probably, is first mate," she said to a rousing round of applause from the audience.

The John F. Kennedy School of Government's ARCO Forum was filled to capacity for Clinton's hourlong talk, which touched on issues of technology, education and America's communities.

"If we think about America's future progress and prosperity, I think we would agree that, to a large extent, that depends upon strong and stable families that are raising children who are able to function well in a world where change is the only certainty," Clinton said.

Clinton cautioned that while advancements in technology may be create a global village, there are limits to what science can do.

"On the eve of this new century we know that all of you who are students here face far many more possibilities than I even could have dreamed of," Clinton said.

"Technology is bringing the world much closer together," she continued. "But, virtual reality will never substitute for human connections and relationships."

During her speech, Clinton drew on her book, It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us.

"Each one of us is responsible for helping to build a healthy functional environment in which these children are raised," the first lady said. "No family is immune to the influences of a larger society."

Clinton expressed optimism in the future of communities which are using small projects and locally-based initiatives to effect change.

"Small investments and changes in attitude leading to incremental changes often produce unexpectedly big results," Clinton said.

"I have seen the quality of life improve because [of initiatives through which] guns were taken out of the hands of young people and basketballs put into them," she said.

But Clinton said that the federal government also has an important role to play in rebuilding the nation's communities.

"I know that government is not a cure all for every social ill," she said. "I view government as a partner of families, communities and businesses addressing our common problems--it is government working side by side with the rest of us."

The first lady said that issues concerning women and children in particular need to gain more attention in the governmental arena.

"I hope that as we move toward this new century, we will find that children's and women's issues are on the forefront of our political agendas and that we are all looking for ways to help each of us," Clinton said.

During a question-and-answer period with Kennedy School faculty members, Clinton addressed a number of issues, including the ongoing debate over welfare reform. She said that there is still a lot of learning and discussion to be done.

"We have to approach what we are doing with a great dose of humanity," she added. "We have to make sure that we help people who are genuinely in need and that we do a lot of the other tasks that any caring village should do. We will find out how well equipped we are to do that."

Clinton said she cherishes her memories of the last four years.

The first lady said that "seeing history being made" has been among her most valuable experiences.

"I still get goosebumps when I walk through the White House," she said.

Clinton said she has tried not to let ongoing public and media criticism affect her. "I don't really mind that--I consider it part of the territory," she said.

But the first lady also acknowledged the complexity and difficulty in defining her role as the spouse of the nation's leader.

"It has no job description," Clinton said. "It is a very unusual role, and it is invested upon with meaning depending upon the historic time in which it is playing out and the person who occupies it."

Clinton's speech was broadcast live over the Internet and on C-SPAN