PBHA Appoints Smith as Interim Executive Agent

In an expected appointment, the board of Phillips Brooks House Association Inc. (PBHA) unanimously elected Kenneth G. Smith as its acting chief operating officer late yesterday afternoon.

Smith, who has served as Phillips Brooks House assistant director since 1994, becomes the first individual to hold this post, created this summer as part of the landmark compromise between PBHA and the College. The post was formerly known as executive agent.

As defined in the agreement, Smith will have dual reporting duties: He will be accountable to students on programmatic issues and to Assistant Dean of Public Service Judith H. Kidd on financial matters.

The accountability of PBHA officers to the College was a key sticking point in the two-year negotiations, with students demanding as much autonomy as possible and administrators insisting on oversight to help avoid liability claims.

Smith's appointment will run through August 31 of next year, at which time the compromise and, implicitly, the position itself, are due to be reviewed.

"It seemed ill-advised to make a permanent appointment at this time, given the still-developing relationship between PBHA and Harvard," said PBHA President Andrew J. Ehrlich '96-'97.

The newly formed PBHA board has been meeting only since May, and yesterday's gathering was only the second to include administrators.

Smith said he is prepared to meet the complex issues of his dual reporting tasks.

"My aim is to support PBHA in its operation of programs and work with Harvard University so that business goes smoothly," said Smith.

Students lauded Smith as a good choice.

"I have every confidence in Ken's abilities," Ehrlich said. "I think he is very well-respected by students, and he has 20 years of experience with service in the Boston area."

"Everyone was in consensus that he was the best person for the job," said Hahrie C. Han '97, vice president of PBHA.

Smith's appointment represents a shift in his job responsibilities.

As assistant director of Phillips Brooks House, he was primarily concerned with programmatic issues, Ehrlich said.

In his new role Smith will oversee program development, staffing decisions and PBHA's compliance with state regulations, according to Ehrlich.

Smith said the focus of his job will become broader and will involve more long-term planning and development.

"Ken's role will mirror what former executive director [Greg A. Johnson '72] did," Ehrlich said.

Johnson's position was consolidated into the position of assistant dean of public service when the College decided to overhaul public service after a 1994 report on the structure of the College.

Smith and Johnson were two of the four finalists for the position of assistant dean, which was eventually given to Kidd despite strong student opposition.

Kidd, a member of the PBHA board that appointed Smith, did not return a phone call last night