Clerical Error Results In Death of Lab Mice

By Laura E. Rosenbaum

Approximately 100 mice were killed because of a clerical error at the Medical School on Tuesday, according to the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

The mice were part of an experiment that belonged to a Medical School researcher who has the same name as a second researcher.

A lab technician confused the names on an order and killed the wrong mice.

The mice were in an experiment being performed in the Alpert Building.

Don Gibbins, director of communications for the Medical School, declined to release the names of the researcher and technician, citing their privacy.

"It was a human error," Gibbins said.

Gibbins said the event was an insignificant mistake, calling it "just a bunch of bloody boring book work."

"There are millions of mice in the labs and a few of the wrong ones were destroyed," Gibbins said.

According to Gibbins, the incident is unprecedented and the Medical School will make some changes to prevent this type of incident occurring again.

"Procedures are being put in place to prevent future accidents," said Joe Wrinn, a University spokesperson.

Gibbons said that these changes have not yet been confirmed, saying any new policy would be the responsibility of Associate Professor of Surgery Arthur Lage, who is director of animal resources.

Lage did not return numerous phone calls yesterday to his office and home.

News of the incident was first published as an entry in a police blotter that reported the "mass destruction of 100 lab mice."

Lieutenant Charles A. Schwab of the HUPD said that the entry should have indicated that the killing was accidental and will be changed.

"[The report] is being changed from malicious destruction to property damage," said Police Department spokesperson Peggy McNamara. "[The killing] was a clerical accident and that's all it was," she said, adding that there will be no police investigation.