Who is Keyser Soze, and Can He Skate for Harvard?

A Cast of Unusual Suspects Dominates This Year's Roster

By Owen C. Lafreniere

The hockey season is once again fast upon us, and as usual, there is more excitement surrounding this team than surrounds most Harvard athletic teams. This year, especially, there is a reason for that excitement.

After a roller coaster winter which ended with the Crimson just two goals shy of going to the NCAA Tournament, there is a feeling that this year's team can take it that extra step.

Last year's surprising freshman class is back in full force, and by all accounts has emerged stronger from the summer break. Another large crop of freshmen will be added to the mix, and thanks to the experience of some key upperclassmen, led by captain Ashlin Halfnight, the team is be one with bundles of winning potential. For anyone who is skeptical, just remember that five players from this team were picked in the NHL draft this summer--more than any other college program.

Livin' on a Prayer

Last season, which had more than its share of ups and downs, should provide this year's team with the desire to improve. The regular season seemed to go downhill from very early on, ending with a dismal nine-game losing streak. The team was plagued with injuries, some very close one-goal losses and a car accident right before the first Beanpot game that left then-seniors Brad Konik and Pete McLaughlin side-lined.

Amazingly, it was that same team which came up big in the post season. Led by junior Henry Higdon, who stepped it up in crunch time, the Crimson pulled off three victories in the ECAC Tournament and lost by only one goal to Cornell in the tournament final in Lake Placid. Had Harvard won, it would have received an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

It was the way it finished that really brings a lot of hope to those on this year's team. In addition to Higdon, sophomores Craig Adams and Rob Millar showed incredible poise and skill down the stretch. Adams was named Rookie of the Year by his team after scoring eight goals and amassing 21 points in his first year.

Millar was a Cinderella story. After seeing limited time in the first half of the season, injuries to Konik, Kirk Nielsen and Tommy Holmes allowed Millar to see the ice and he full took advantage of the opportunity. In his first weekend of varsity play, Millar scored four goals, including a hat trick, and was named ECAC Rookie of the Week.

There are some key player losses from last year, however, as Konik, Nielsen, Holmes, McLaughlin, Jason Karmanos and goaltender Tripp Tracy have all graduated. Tracy's leadership in goal and the play of Konik, Nielsen and Holmes up front will be sorely missed. In addition, senior Stu Swenson did not return to the team this year and his gritty play will be sorely missed.

Youngblood

This year's team is dominated by freshmen and sophomores, who account for 16 of the 25 players on the preseason roster. Youth isn't necessarily a negative for this team.

"We're definitely a young team. But with that youngness comes the enthusiasm which I think can be real strength," Harvard coach Ronn Tomassoni said. "I'm really excited about what I see from the younger players."

The most important factor will be the play of the sophomores. Led by forwards Craig MacDonald, Adams and Millar, the sophomores got a lot of valuable playing time last season and proved to be up to the task.

Peter Zakowich will be competing for a goaltending slot with freshman J.R. Prestifilippo. Sophomores Ben Storey and Ethan Oberman also logged a lot of minutes last season and should play an important role in the Crimson's strong and experienced defensive line.

"The key class for us will definitely be that sophomore class," Tomassoni said. "They're coming back with experience. And that finish we had last year was so important. Hopefully we can use that as a springboard. They've been through a lot of battles and I think they're hungry for wins."

Pumpin' Iron

What is perhaps most impressive is the physical improvement in these second year players.

MacDonald, who was drafted by the Hartford Whalers in June, worked out extensively over the summer and has put on 25 pounds of muscle.

"I feel much better," MacDonald said. "The strength factor is really going to help and I haven't lost any speed. I feel pretty confident that I'm not going to get pushed off the puck as much as I was last year."

Storey, Adams and Millar also worked on their skills and strength over the summer.

"I tried to work out a lot over this summer," Millar said. "I weigh more and they can't throw me around as much as they did my freshman year."

Millar was something of a team hero last year, coming off the bench to contribute much more than expected to the offense.

"Robbie's a very talented young man and he seems to be skating a whole lot better offensively right now," Tomassoni said. "He's got a real head for the game. I think it just shows how the sophomore class has come back with more confidence and great work ethic."

The freshman class also figures heavily in the upcoming season. Many of them, especially defensemen Brice Conklin and Matt Scorsune are highly touted. Prestifilippo and Scorsune were two of the five Harvard icemen drafted this summer.

"I think we're adjusting pretty well," Prestifilippo said. "The older guys have made it easy on and off the ice and the coaches seem like really good motivators. Plus, the defence here just seems unbelievable, which is going to help me."

Tomassoni echoes the freshman's thoughts.

"I think we've got a nice blend and a nice mix. It's a class that's got very good quickness and it really improves our overall team speed. It seems like good chemistry."

Gotta Have Heart

No team can expect to win close games without experienced leadership from its veteran players, however, and everyone seems to agree that the Harvard upperclassmen are up to the challenge.

The all-around play of Halfnight, the experience of Joe Craigen and the versatility of Marco Ferrari are all crucial to the team's success.

Halfnight stepped up his play in the latter part of last season and is expected to lead the way this year.

"I think Ashlin's going to have a terrific year," Tomassoni said. "I think in the last eight to 10 games last year, he played his best and most consistent hockey. He's a tremendous skater and he shows tremendous courage out there."

Adams was quick to praise Halfnight and the other seniors on the squad.

"We've got three really good seniors taking charge and that helps give us really good chances in the ECAC."

Halfnight sees the same potential in the youngsters.

"We're real young team and we've got a great work ethic, great goaltending and good size and speed. We're looking for good thing from the freshmen. We're going to surprise some teams."

Juniors Jeremiah McCarthy and Higdon are also key players. Higdon led the team with 17 goals last year and figures to be important this year as well.

"You don't want to make predictions, but we're really excited," McCarthy said. "Everyone has done their work over the summer and the younger guys look really good."

McCarthy has been improving steadily and is a premier defenseman in the country, as he missed the team's Christmas trip to Minnesota in order to play for the U.S. team at the World Junior Championships. Making the most of his time, McCarthy led the U.S. defensemen in plus-minus and scored in overtime to beat Finland in the fifth-place game.

"Look at a guy like Jeremiah," Tomassoni said. "He seems to get better every time you see him. We expect a lot from guys like Jeremiah and Henry."

The Long and Winding Road

Despite the youth and the losses, the entire team seems comfortable setting high goals.

"It's definitely positive so far," Higdon said. "I think that once we get a couple of games under out belts we should be doing well. We'd like to win the Beanpot, the ECACs."

The question is really whether or not the Crimson can improve its goal scoring. Last year, the team lost numerous close games that it should have won.

"We need to score more and we need to score more consistently," Tomassoni said. "You really need to score more if you want to make it at the college level."

Even more important will be the power-play unit which was at times a nemesis for the team.

"You have to have an effective power-play unit," Tomassoni said. "I think we have some guys who have those offensive instincts, but we really need to get better on the power-play."

The goalie question is another one of importance for the team.

"People tend to look at question marks as weaknesses," Tomassoni said. "I've never necessarily looked at it that way. I think that it could be a strength. I'm not sure how it will go [between Zakowich and Prestifilippo], but time will tell."

"The competition is actually helping," Prestifilippo added. "It's helping us work on different parts of our game."

The defense, with depth, experience, strength and quickness, is the rock of the team. Led by Halfnight, McCarthy and Storey, it has the fewest weaknesses on the team.

"We should definitely be better than last year defensively," Tomassoni said. "It gives us more depth and flexibility too."

How far can this team go? If you talk to the players or the coaches, there doesn't seem to be a limit to its potential. They're hungry for wins, respect and a championship season.

"Every two points is worth everything. Every game is important," MacDonald said. "Our goal right away is to go back and win the ECACs."

Rob Millar is even more excited about the team's prospects.

"I'm looking forward to it a lot," Millar said. "We have a lot of youth and it should be interesting. I think we can win the ECAC, I think we'll click as a team."

After being congratulated on having five of his players in the NHL draft, Tomassoni simply answered with a smile,

"That's a tell-tale sign that we're got some very talented young men."

Probably the most eager man of all, however, is the captain himself.

"You don't go into a season setting goals like trying to go .500 or winning the conference," Halfnight said. "When I was a freshman, we went to the NCAA Final Four. As a senior, I'd like to go back and win it all."Crimson Film Photo

Pumpin' Iron

Gotta Have Heart

The Long and Winding Road