Decision '96: Massachusetts, Nation Head to Polls

96 ELECTION

The eyes of New England and the nation will be focused on the results of today's high-profile Massachusetts Senate race between incumbent Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) and Republican Gov. William F. Weld'66.

The outcome will either set the stage for a national Democratic congressional comeback if Kerry wins or, if Weld upsets the Bay State's junior senator, build upon the Republican gains made in 1994.

Polls are open today from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

"It has been surprising how close this race is--Bill Weld running against an established Democrat with a track record like Kerry's," said WABU-68 news anchor Delores Handy. "Weld has always shown his ability to surprise...I would not venture a guess at who is going to win [today]."

After spending millions of dollars in advertising and engaging in eight debates, both Kerry and Weld have staked out different positions on taxes, welfare and crime. However, nei-

ther has gained the upper hand in the country's most watched senatorial race.

"Both of these candidates have different types of appeal and electorates. They are two people who have won statewide races in Massachusetts both quite convincingly," said former Cambridge mayor Alice K. Wolf." And once people are prone to vote for their candidates, they are prepared to do it again."

Both of these men, on the surface, are remarkably similar. They are both wealthy former prosecutors educated at Ivy League schools, who share liberal views on social issues like abortion and homosexual rights.

But they diverge widely on fiscal issues and views about the proper role of government in citizens' lives.

Weld has hammered home the fact that in his six years as governor, he has cut taxes six times, balanced the state's budget, fought for the death penalty for cop-killers and reformed the state's welfare system.

"I've cut taxes for six years in a row," Weld said in the final debate in Faneuil Hall. "I'm six-for-six, [Sen. Kerry] is zero-for-12," referring to Kerry's votes to raise taxes during his tenure in the Senate.

Kerry, like many of his fellow Democratic congressional candidates, has tried to link his opponent to House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and the Republican-controlled 104th Congress.

Kerry, a Yale graduate, has emphasized his work on President Clinton's crime bill, welfare reform and stopping Republican cuts in education, the environment and health care.

He has also criticized Weld's opposition to a minimum wage hike and the governor's support of tax cuts which Kerry has said only" go to the businesses or the wealthy."

Both candidates spent yesterday shaking hands and meeting voters for the final time. Their campaigns were working out last-minute details for the anticipated victory party tonight.

"We are feeling good. Sen. Kerry has been all over the state...We're happy where we are, but we are not going to take a single thing for granted," Kerry spokesperson Dwight D. Robson said. "We are going to continue to push for votes until the polls close."

Kerry wrapped up his campaign by emphasizing his role in fighting Republican plans to cut entitlement programs that benefit Massachusetts voters.

"I think working people and middle-class people know that I am on their side, and when the tough votes are cast in the U.S. Senate, when health care is on the line, when education loans are on the line...people know that I'm in the trenches fighting for them," Kerry said at Bunker Hill Community College before heading onto West Roxbury.

Weld spokesperson Andy Antrobus was also confident. "We are very upbeat and that is largely from the top down...the candidate is feeling good, the momentum is swinging our way hour by hour, day by day."

Massachusetts Republican Party State Committee Executive Director William B. Vernon said he "took perverse pleasure in seeing that President Clinton felt the need to come to Massachusetts on the last weekend to campaign for Kerry."

Clinton appeared at a rally in downtown Springfield Sunday night on behalf of Kerry and other Democratic congressional candidates, two days after a Democratic rally with Vice President Al Gore '69 outside historic Faneuil Hall on Friday.

Weld wrapped up his 11-month campaign with a parade in Boston's North End attended by political ally New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. He also aired a 30-minute television infomercial on a local Boston station.

Around the Nation

The Kerry-Weld race is one of 34 Senate races today. Fourteen of the contests are for open seats. Thirteen seats are held by Republicans, and seven are held by Democrats.

Democrats are hoping to pick up seats in Colorado, New Hampshire, Maine and North Carolina.

The GOP has targeted seats held by Kerry and Sen. Paul Wellstone (D-Minn.), along with seats vacated by retiring Sen. Sam Nunn (D-Ga.) and retiring Sen. Bill Bradley (D-N.J.).

Vigorous attacks on the Clinton administration's ethics have buoyed Republican's optimism for Senate gains.

"The polls have been moving towards the Republicans. I am more upbeat than I have been in a long time, because there are a lot of races that are close and are moving towards Republicans," Vernon said.

Handy disagreed, saying Republicans could be surprised tonight because of Democratic efforts to link both House and senate GOP candidates to Gingrich.

"I don't think [Gingrich] has helped the party," Handy said. "Any candidate who can be linked to him will be in trouble."

Kerry will vote this morning at the Statehouse and then campaign in Fall River and Springfield. Weld will cast his ballot at the New School of Music in Cambridge and then stump in Revere and Melrose.

--The Associated Press contributed to the reporting of this story.

Around the Nation