Rawlins to Seek U.C. Presidency

Vice President Will Run With O'Mary; Hyman Endorses Ticket

Getting off to an early start in the campus-wide election of the president and vice president of the Undergraduate Council, vice president Lamelle D. Rawlins '99 and council member Michael A. O'Mary '99 announced their decision to run as a ticket yesterday.

The decision comes one day after President Robert M. Hyman '98-'97 announced that he would not seek re-election for a fourth term.

"My candidacy is not only a personal desire to improve student government, but also a way to increase the profile of women on the campus," Rawlins said.

If elected president, Rawlins would become the first-ever female president of the council.

Rawlins and O'Mary said they decided to make their decision to run public after Hyman's announcement on Sunday.

While Rawlins said her decision to run for the presidency was not motivated by Hyman's decision not to run for re-election, she announced her decision yesterday to dispel speculation as to whether she would run.

"I decided to make my decision public now because of the amount of speculation that has taken place after Rob's announcement," she said.

Candidates can make their intent to run public anytime, but cannot begin campaigns until the candidates collect 100 signatures for their petition, said Marco B. Simons '97, a member of the Election Commission.

Hyman endorsed Rawlins and O'Mary late last night. Rawlins ran on a ticket with Hyman in the firstever popular elections held last spring.

Hyman said he wanted to give his endorsement early, even though the election period has not officially begun and no other candidates have announced their intention to run.

"As soon as they told me that they were going to announce, I wanted my supporters and the students to know who I supported," Hyman said.

The elections will be held on-line from December 9 to 11. The deadline to declare as a candidate is November 22.