Rawlins Has Played Above Board

TO THE EDITORS

We write to set the record straight on the allegations of negative campaigning made against the campaign of Lamelle D. Rawlins '99. The Rawlins campaign had nothing to do with the flier dropped in Phillips Brooks House and deplores this negative campaigning.

The Election Commission's charge that the Rawlins campaign has the most to gain is patently false. There are 12 candidates in this race. Furthermore, the idea that Rawlins has privileged information about the voting record of Elizabeth A. Haynes '98 is a lie; the minutes of the Undergraduate Council meetings, including roll call votes, were distributed to all 88 members of the council last year and a copy currently sits in a binder in the council office. It is a matter of public record. As Lamelle said in yesterday's paper, "From the very beginning, I've made it clear to my volunteers that negative campaigning is unacceptable."

The election commission's investigation will discover that the Rawlins campaign has focused on the issues important to students and on the consistent record of Lamelle Rawlins. We hope you join us in supporting Lamelle Rawlins and Michael A. O'Mary '99. --Matthew W. Mayers '97 and   Avery W. Gardiner '97, co-managers   Rawlins/O'Mary