Hill Promises to Keep Fighting

Former Law Professor Says Sexual Harassment Still Serious Problem

Five years after she brought the issue of sexual harassment into the national spotlight, author and former law professor Anita Hill said yesterday the problem still persists and won't be solved in her lifetime.

"The bottom line is that we still have a long way to go," Hill told a group of nearly 300 Harvard Law School students. "My vision of equality probably won't be achieved in my lifetime, but that doesn't stop me from presenting the issues."

Hill, a former professor of law at the University of Oklahoma, gained national attention in October, 1991, during Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' Senate confirmation hearings. Hill accused Thomas of sexually harassing her when they worked together for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

But Hill said yesterday that despite all the attention the issue received at the time, sexual harassment persists.

"Events keep compelling me to talk about sexual harassment," Hill said. "Five years ago we invented the vocabulary, and now it seems as if the words have been a part of our lives forever."

Hill cited statistics from 1990 and 1994 surveys of women enrolled in military academies that showed the level of reported harassment during the five-year span had remained steady.

"Whether in military academies, the army or the public sphere, the message from harassers and others to women is consistent: We can harass you and get away with it," Hill said.

Hill also linked the problems of racial discrimination and gender discrimination, explaining that allegations against corporations like Texaco are no different than sexual harassment complaints against the military.

"People want to categorize the two, but I don't think that they are separate from each other," Hill said. "You have two discrimination issues that have been part of this country for a long time, and then you have procedures that are ineffective in both situations."

Hill said there needs to be "a shift in focus before we can fix the problem."

"The motivation for change seems to be an effort to see how bad we can be and still get away with it, instead of working proactively to see what we can do to provide a workplace free of sexual harassment," she said.

In her final remarks to audience, Hill portrayed herself as "a woman who came into the spotlight somewhat reluctantly," but who now sees her decision to become active as "one of the most fulfilling choices in my life."

Audience members said they agreed with Hill's closing statement.

"Being a role model is not something that seems to come naturally to her, but that makes what she is doing all the more impressive," said Venu Gupta, a first-year law student.

Others said they related to Hill's appeal that more people become involved in fighting sexual harassment.

"As a black female in society, at some point in my life, I'll be confronted with these problems," said Hazel-Ann F. Mayers, a first-year law student. "Everyone will be forced to face them, but the only difference is whether you challenge them voluntarily or if you wait for them to smack you in the face.