Junior Bahat To Lead PBHA

Breaking a two-year tradition of electing a president who was then a senior, Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) last night chose Roy E. Bahat '98 to lead the public service organization.

The past two presidents of PBHA, Andrew J. Ehrlich '96-'97 and Vincent Pan '95-'96, each stayed at Harvard for an extra semester to run the organization because PBHA members wanted experienced leaders to handle the organization's conflicts with the administration over student autonomy.

Bahat, the current treasurer, has vocally supported the public service organization's autonomy from the administration.

This summer, he criticized a compromise that PBHA and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III engineered in which the executive agent of PBHA reports to both the assistant dean of public service and PBHA's governing board rather than solely to the governing board.

"PBHA will continue to move forward with a structure which supports its programs," Bahat said after his election last night.

The PBHA cabinet, which is composed of student committee and program leaders, also elected Michael W. Ma '98 as vice president, Judy Hung '99 as treasurer and Amanda Spector '98 as secretary.

Bahat won the presidency by defeating Ma, the current alumni coordinator. Ma's opponent in the subsequent vice presidential race was Sheila Warren '98, who is now the programming chair.

Ehrlich voiced his optimism for the future of PBHA's dealings with the University after the election.

"I think we're going to see continuity in the path that we're going down this year in creating a rational structure for PBHA," Ehrlich said.

Bahat and Ma declined to articulate a vision for PBHA's future until the new officers have a chance to meet.

The newly-elected president and vice president have worked closely together in the past.

"They have a very strong relationship," Ehrlich said.

The PBHA cabinet also elected new program chairs Marc H. Katz '98 and Rebecca E. Stich '98, new fundraisers Scott M. Damrauer '98 and Jante C. Santos '99 and new event coordinator Lauren M. Kim '98.

Seven additional officers will be elected on Sunday. Although the first transitional meeting will take place Monday night, the new board will not take office until next semester