K-School Public Affairs Director Resigns

Steven Singer, director of communications and public affairs at the Kennedy School of Government, has accepted an offer to head the Communications Office at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.

Singer, 39, has worked at the Kennedy School since 1986, where he has developed "an internationally respected program in media relations" and has managed a wide range of publications, according to a Dana-Farber press release.

"I'll miss the Kennedy School terribly, but this is a big step up," the communications official said. "It's a much larger department with a much larger range of responsibilities."

Dana-Farber's reputation has been sullied over the last several years after two patients died under questionable circumstances while undergoing treatment. The well-publicized deaths resulted in a shake-up of the cancer hospital's personnel.

But at least one Kennedy School official said yesterday that Singer's achievements over the last decade indicate that he is up to the job of improving Dana-Farber's image.

"We all understand that he needed for his own personal development to move on to a more challenging and exciting position," said Julie B. Wilson, secretary of the school.

In addition to handling routine press issues, Singer was instrumental in providing background information to the press and in giving advice to Kennedy School faculty on how to deal with the media, Wilson said.

"He just exudes this sense of integrity," she said.

Because of Dana-Farber's recent internal reorganization, Singer's addition may provide a much-needed sense of calm and direction at the institute, Wilson said.

"Health care is very political these days," she said.

Dana-Farber is a federally-designated center for both cancer and AIDS research that has a partnership for patient care with Mass. General Hospital and other local hospitals.

Dana-Farber spends about $100 million in cancer research and $80 million in patient care each year, Singer said.

"It's a fascinating field that's changing rapidly," Singer said. "I wouldn't do it if I didn't care about the mission."

Singer will assume his new post in mid-January and will head a department of 14 people, he said. His responsibilities will include media relations and publications management.

Singer's long and varied career has included stints as a newspaper and magazine writer, a White House advance person and a press secretary for two members of Congress, according to the Dana-Farber statement.

He is also currently teaching a course at the Kennedy School titled "Working With the News Media."

Singer earned his master's degree from the Kennedy School in 1986 and began work at the school "the day after graduating," he said.

Singer said he hopes to remain close to his colleagues at the Kennedy School as well as the larger Harvard community.

"I'll always be a big fan of the Kennedy School," he said