Mathematics Expert Birkhoff Dead at 85

Putnam Professor of Pure and Applied Mathematics Emeritus Garett Birkhoff '32, an expert on algebra and fluid mechanics, died at his home in Water Mill, N.Y. on Nov. 22. He was 85.

The son of the late George D. Birkhoff, who was also a mathematician and Harvard faculty member, Birkhoff taught at Harvard from 1933 until his retirement in 1981.

Birkhoff studied lattice theory, a highly abstract theory of structure and relative magnitude that was in its infancy when he began his studies.

During World War II, Birkhoff studied the explosion of bazooka charges and plotted phenomena associated with the entry into water of air-launched missiles. This led him to study fluid dynamics, his primary field after the war.

Birkhoff wrote several books, including Survey of Modern Algebra, Jets, Wakes and Cavities and Ordinary Differential Equations.

At the time of his death, Birkhoff was compiling a history of mathematics at Harvard.

He wrote in his 50th annual class report that he loved his work and wanted to help future mathematicians.

"Having enjoyed 50 years of challenging opportunities and varied experience in a country richly endowed with natural and human resources," he wrote, "I keep wondering what the next half-century will bring."

"Realizing that this will depend on younger people, I plan to spend the next decade trying to write up the ideas and knowledge that I have acquired, in ways that will be accessible, stimulating, and useful to creative scientists of the next generation," he continued.

A memorial service for Birkhoff will be held in the spring.