Council Monitors Election Process

Much like a referee at a tennis match, the Undergraduate Council's specially-appointed election commission is watching over campaign and voting procedures.

One of the chief complaints during last spring's elections was that some presidential and vice presidential candidates were running as teams and thus circumventing a $100-per-candidate spending limit.

This year's commission, which has the power to suspend or expel candidates for violating any regulations, is watching the money trail closely, said Yoni E. Braude '99, the commission's press liaison.

"[The Undergraduate Council] does not recognize merger tickets. They are unofficial," Braude said. "Every candidate can spend up to $100 in the campaign. Candidates endorsing each other have $200."

But the commission has changed the way those costs are determined, Braude said.

Last year, for example, the election commission ruled that candidates without running mates would be charged the full cost of any printing materials. Candidates running on a ticket for president and vice president could split those costs, each paying 50 cents.

Earlier this semester, the commission voted to charge each candidate 75 percent of the cost of materials used jointly, effectively shrinking the team's spending power from $200 to $133, commissioners said.

The commission is also enforcing rules that limit where candidates may put up posters.

It has already officially warned two teams of candidates--Justin E. Porter '99 and Mawi Asegdom '99, and Eric M. Nelson '99 and Joseph A. Sena '99--for wrongly placing signs on Thayer Gate, Braude said. Nelson and Sena are Crimson editors.

Election Commissioner Chris-Tia E. Donaldson '00 said enforcing those rules helps ensure an "opportunity for all candidates to present themselves equally."

The commission still is searching for the best way to monitor the campaign, said Election Commissioner Sujit M. Raman '00. The group's constitution has been changed since last year, and this year its members will continue to "adjust some regulations to fit," Raman said.

Donaldson said he believes that this year's commission has been successful in monitoring spending and issuing warnings and penalties.

Presidential candidate Elizabeth A. Haynes '98, who ran unsuccessfully for vice president last semester and is a vocal proponent of campaign finance reform, said this semester's changes have made the election "leaps and bounds better for people running on their own."

But Haynes, who is running on a ticket with Mark A. Price '98, said that charging each of the candidates running together the full cost of materials would ensure "a completely fair system that gives no penalty for people running on their own."

Haynes says that after the current election is over she would like the Commission's financing rule to be reevaluated.

The election will be held Monday through Wednesday on-line.

--Abby Y. Fung contributed to the reporting of this story.