Democrats Elect Olney President

The Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats elected a new board last night, shortly after voting to support the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers' (HUCTW) campaign to preserve certain health benefits.

The 35 members present elected Eric S. Olney '98 as their new president.

Olney, who is the out-going vice-president, defeated Dorian S. Berger '00 and James S. Twiss '98, a transfer student from Deep Springs College in California.

Olney said he hopes the College Democrats will play a more active role in local and national politics during his year-long term.

"Right now, we are the legs of the Democratic Party," Olney said. "But we have the capacity to be the brains as well."

Olney said the College Democrats could play an important role in advising candidates, as well as in speech-writing and debates.

Out-going Political Director Michael J. Passante '99 was elected vice-president, defeating three other candidates. Passante said his goal for the group--which boasts about 150 active members--is to improve its visibility on campus.

"We need to be louder," he said.

Also elected last night were: Robert B. Wolinsky'98 as treasurer; Sarah L. Lee '99 as secretary; Edward T. Freeman '00 as political director; Eugenie "Jeannie" A. Lang '00 as on-campus director; Erin L. Brinkman '00 as campaigns director; and Daniel M. Loss '00, Alysson R. Ford '00, Berger and Twisp as directors-at-large.

Seventeen candidates ran for the 11 positions, more than in any race in recent memory, according to out-going President Seth D. Hanlon '98.

Hanlon had defeated Olney, his roommate, to claim the presidency in last year's election.

Pro-Labor

Before electing their new leaders, the College Democrats voted unanimously to endorse HUCTW in its picket campaign to stop a University plan to raise medical co-payments for part-time employees.

HUCTW members who addressed the College Democrats last night said the benefits cut would save the University $200,000.

Hanlon said the College Democrats' endorsement reflected the Democratic Party's traditional support of working people.

"Last year in Congress we had to ask ourselves 'Do we want to balance the budget on the backs of the most vulnerable among us?'" he said.

"And this year, at Harvard, we ask ourselves the question, 'Do we want to find budget savings in the livelihood of our hardest pressed workers?'