LEE HOPING FOR SMALL VICTORIES

The Undergraduates Council

When President Clinton ran for Re-election this year, his advisors told him to focus not on grand themes, but on small concrete proposals that would make a difference in the lives of individuals.

Albert S. lee is apparently heeding that advice well.

Unlike some other candidates who are pushing plans with grand sounding names and sweeping agendas, Lee is proposing to win the support of students by focussing the council on the small victories not the big politics.

By small victories Lee means facilitating the upper class, Dining in Annenberg, implementing Universal Key-card Access to the houses and reducing the size of the council.

Lee says that Tangible things will build students confidence in the council and "get them exited about what the U.C does"

If elected Lee would advocate an ethnic studies program, for he feels that by learning about other cultures and bringing students together, more ideas and progress will result. Lee also plans to focus on improving campus safety.

With three semesters experience on the council, Lee has seen the council from both the inside and the outside.

And he believes that because of his range of experience he knows what it takes to see the U.C. run effectively. He hopes to develop a council that is not a political body but rather a representative body.

"If the U.C is to have any legitimacy at all it needs to have a better representation of students" he says.

Lee sites the uncontested house representative races as evidence that students do not perceive the U.C as a student government representing their interests.

Better representation would combat the apathy of students towards their student government which would in turn increase leverage with administration, Lee says.