Referendum Support Means Council Reform

TO THE EDITORS

Despite significant progress in addressing the needs of students on campus, the current Undergraduate Council feud over the referendum to guarantee more money to the grants process proves once again that many council members are still not in touch with what the students want.

While it seems a bit absurd to us that the percentage of council money that goes to student groups and house committees must be debated and passed every year, this is clearly not the most important issue at stake. The argument over the referendum transcends the mere transfer of a couple of percentage points from one Undergraduate Council fund to another. At stake here is the students' voice in their government.

For good reason, the vast majority of the Harvard students remain indifferent and apathetic (if not antagonistic) about their student government. Despite this overall political lethargy, 900 signatures were collected in support of the referendum (which will be attached to e-mail ballots during the election next week) in a relatively short time period. The sheer number of signatures is an obvious testament to the fact that as students, we feel strongly about how the council should use not "its" but "our" money. After all, our generous term bill contributions account for nearly 100 percent of the council budget.

If we are to believe the rhetoric, then the council is desperately looking for ways to become more relevant in student life and improve its image in the process. Well, ladies and gentlemen of the council, this is your change to accomplish both of these goals simultaneously, simply by supporting the referendum. You may not agree with us that a fixed minimum percentage of the council budget should be constitutionally mandated to go to the Grants Fund and House Committees; but you must support the referendum in principle if you expect to preserve what little credibility you have left with the students whom you claim to represent.

Supporting the referendum means granting students a legitimate stake in the affairs of campus government. If the outcome of the referendum is the demise of a status quo that is not addressing our needs, then bring on the revolution. Or, in fairness, allow the revolution already progress to continue its progressive path toward a more responsive student government.

The referendum is at hand and the students are ready to speak. The question is whether the council is ready to listen. --The Coalition of Student Leaders   for U.C. Reform:   Joshua D. Powe '98, coalition organizer;   Avery W. Gardiner '97,   Student Advisory Committee chair,   Institute of Politics;   Derrick N. Ashong '97, president,   Black Students Association;   The Asian American Association   Steering Committee;   David J. Andorsky '97,   chair, Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel;   Mallar Bhatacharya '98, co-president,   South Asian Association   Vipin Goyal '98, co-president,   South Asian Association;   Devi Sengupta '98, co-chair,   Minority Students Association;   Eric D. Albert '97, treasurer,   Progressive Action Network;   Jante C. Santos '99, treasurer, Kuumba Singers,   business manager, Diversity and Distinction;   Diana L. Adair, co-chair, Girl Spot;   Helen F. Skinner '98, president and co-director,   Expressions Dance Company