A.D. Bill Cleary to be Golden Olympian

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

In a few months the whole world will be celebrating the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia. Before the torch is lit, however, Harvard Athletic Director Bill Cleary will be in the spotlight.

On July 18, the eve of the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games, the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) will honor Cleary as one of the 100 greatest living American gold-medal champions.

Cleary's affable demeanor and personable approach has allowed him to become a favorite among Harvard students and faculty. Best known for leading the Harvard men's hockey team to a national title in 1989, Cleary appears to possess the Midas touch--everything he touches turns to gold.

There is no better example than the 1960 Olympic Games. A collection of young hockey players from Harvard and the University of Minnesota, given only 15 dollars a month for expenses, were thrown into the Olympic battle.

Considering their youth and inexperience, experts did not even pick the United States to qualify for the final round of eight. Spearheaded by Cleary, the gritty American team by Cleary, the gritty American team beat all odds when it defeated the Soviet Union in the semi-finals and then came from behind in the third period to win over Czechoslovakia and capture the gold medal.

More recently, however, Cleary has stepped off the playing field and has been extremely vocal concerning the formation of Olympic "dream teams". One of the last Olympic purists, Cleary strongly feels that the Olympic Games belong to amateurs.

His experience as an Olympian was so special that Cleary told the Boston Globe, "Knowing what I know now, I could win 100 Stanley Cups, and it wouldn't match what I felt marching in the Olympic parade."

Had dream teams been around in 1960, Cleary would not have had the opportunity to march in the Games, let alone make Cinderella history. Now, with the formation of an Olympic hockey squad made up of NHL stars, Cleary is left shaking his head in dismay, "I just hope that they [the NHL stars] have as much fun as we had."

Despite the changing Olympic philosophy, the USOC has not forgotten Cleary's dedication to the Olympic tradition nor his 1960 heroics. Out of the thousands of Olympic gold medalists who have competed for the United States since the first modern games in 1896, Cleary was chosen to be in the exclusive 100 Golden Olympian group.

Such stars as Bruce Jenner, Dick Button, Matt Biondi, Evelyn Ashford, Dan Jansen, Dorothy Hamill and Jim Craig will gather in Atlanta to commemorate the Centennial games. They will also enjoy special seating at the Olympic Opening Ceremonies as well as complementary Olympic event tickets.

"These Olympians are a tribute to the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games," USOC president Dr. LeRoy Walker said. "They are not only great athletes, but great people."

Cleary's Midas touch has turned everything to gold--even the dreams of his 1960 Olympic hockey team. This dedication and commitment to excellence will be honored in Atlanta this summer and if history proves itself correct, Bill Cleary's presence will begin the 1996 Olympic Games in "golden" style.