Harvard Senior Wins Scholarship to Cambridge

By Malka A. Older

When Patrick S. Chung '96 visited Cambridge University two years ago, he said he had great difficulty punting, an activity which involves pushing a small boat down a river with a pole. After being awarded the Williams scholarship on Thursday, however, Chung is guaranteed plenty of time to perfect his technique.

The scholarship, given by Paul W. Williams '25 for one year of study in the area of international government and public affairs at Emmanuel College at Cambridge University, has been awarded to one Harvard senior annually since 1991.

"I was thrilled and greatly honored by the committee's decision," Chung said. "Cambridge is a beautiful place and I'm sure I will enjoy my time there."

Seven finalists for the scholarship were interviewed early Thursday afternoon by a panel consisting of a professor from the Kennedy School and the Social Studies department, the director of fellowships at the Center for International Affairs and the director of fellowships for the Office of Career Services (OCS). The finalists were informed of the decision later in the day, Chung said.

"I wasn't confident after the interview, which ended at 12:30," Chung said. "Around 4 p.m. I got a call from Adonica Lui [at OCS] telling me that I had won. I told Adonica I would give her a hug if I was at OCS."

The Williams scholarship is awarded for the demonstration of "outstanding scholarship, character and athletic ability."

Chung, a former associate editorial chair of The Crimson, is a college prefect and plays squash.

He said he intends to earn a Master of Philosophy degree in Environment and Development at Cambridge.

An Environmental Studies and Public Policy concentrator, Chung said he is particularly interested in looking at game theory approaches to determine the possibilities for cooperation in international environmental relations.