City Council Delays Housing Plan Vote

By R. ALAN Leo

Cambridge activists packed City Hall last night to press the City Council--unsuccessfully, for the time being--for a multi-million dollar affordable housing plan.

The plan, entitled the Ten Million Dollar Affordable Housing Plan, would raise spending on affordable housing for city residents from roughly $2 million to $10 million.

The council voted to postpone debate on the Ten Million Dollar Affordable Housing Plan until March 3.

The plan was drafted by community activists and proposed by Councillors Katherine Triantafillou, Kathleen L. Born and Kenneth E. Reeves '72. Supporters intend for the plan to reallocate a city surplus brought about by last year's end of rent control.

"[The plan] represents the best attempt to fill the gap between before and after rent control," Reeves said.

Opponents, however, argued that the proposal lacks sufficient detail.

"They're going after an amount of money before deciding how its going to be spent," said Ralph E. (Skip) Schloming, a member of the Small Property Owners Association (SPOA).

The Ten Million Dollar Plan would set aside 75 percent of the city's affordable housing budget to assist tenant and non-profit purchase of Cambridge property, including Harvard property.

According to Steven Meacham, organizer of the activist group Eviction Free Zone, the plan would lend backbone to a report issued last October by the council's Housing Committee. The report called on Harvard and the city to jointly fund the sale of the University's 700 formerly rent-controlled apartments at below-market rates.

The University has not agreed to the plan.

Four Harvard undergraduates representing the student group Harvard Community for Affordable Housing (HCAH) also attended the meeting. The group, which works in concert with local community leaders, is planning a March 3 "teach-in" on housing policies.

Although defeated over a year ago at a state-wide referendum, rent control still influenced last night's debate. One member of SPOA wore a "rent control sucks" T-shirt, and supporters of the proposal booed and hissed while Schloming--a vocal opponent of rent control--spoke.

In other business, the council tabled two proposals by Triantafillou, Born, Reeves and Councillor Henrietta A. Davis to petition the State Legislature to extend the rent controls on "expiring-use" apartment buildings.

The council once again met last night without a mayor. Councillor Anthony D. Galluccio proposed that another vote for the post be taken, but the council rejected his motion.

Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55 presided over the meeting as acting mayor