It's Neither, Folks

By Ubong U. Edemeka

The Crimson's staff editorials have sometimes been poorly argued or logically unsound. However, in recent memory, the Crimson has not printed anything quite as embarassing as today's shameless advertisement for the Coca-Cola corporation. The staff's hysterical endorsement of Coke pollutes this page with obscene commercialism. What's worse is that The Crimson, unlike other Harvard organizations like the Undergraduate Council and Phillips Brooks House, did not even receive any financial compensation for its support of a carbonated beverage.

The staff position is undeniably humorous, and a welcome escape from the seriousness that usually characterizes this page. But it is definitely inappropriate and tainted with marketing ploys. The Crimson could print any number of hilarious editorials-but only at the expense of its integrity.

Also, the staff position is flawed for several reasons. First, the Coke served in the dining halls is so watered down that it hardly tastes like the drink that comes out of the red-and-white can. Second, it appears that Dining Services is making an intelligent business decision. Third, the scope of the staff position is rather short-sighted. Any discussion of colas on college campuses should focus on the fact that large intakes of caffeine have been proven to be extremely detrimental to students' health and their academic capacities.