Clinton Aide Talks at Harvard Model Congress

By Laura C. Semerjian, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Political simulations may be more productive than actual political debate, a top aide to President Clinton told more than 1,375 high school students and teachers as he opened this year's Harvard Model Congress.

Speaking in the grand ballroom of the Boston Sheraton yesterday afternoon, Assistant to the President and White House Press Secretary Michael J. McCurry warned the high school students that the Harvard program may make them a bit too experienced for politics.

"Sometimes the real thing resembles not high school, but an elementary school food fight," McCurry said.

After discussing political issues such as the drive for a balanced budget, McCurry answered questions from the audience.

The Harvard Model Congress is a government simulation in which students assume various roles as members of the House of Representatives, the Senate, the Supreme and Judiciary Courts and other governmental bodies.

Arvind Venkat '96-'95, co-president of the event, said the conference's aim is to help participants become better informed citizens.

"By giving [participants] a hands on role...they'll become more involved as citizens after this type of civic education," Venkat said.

Addressing the crowd during the opening ceremony, Jonathan E. Finkelstein '96, the event's other co-president, expressed his hope that this year's Harvard Model Congress will make up an "exciting, informative and exhausting four days" for students involved.

According to Venkat, the Harvard Model Congress boasts two new programs this year.

Along with sponsoring its own press television "network," which will broadcast television news tonight and tomorrow night, the Harvard Model Congress has also added a simulation of the presidential campaign, featuring people pretending to be President Clinton, Senate Majority Leader Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.) and conservative columnist Patrick J. Buchanan.

Many of the students participating in the program displayed enthusiasm for this weekend's events.

John Schirano, an eleventh grader from Bronxville, N.Y., said the program is an "excellent opportunity to explore the world of politics.