Registration Rules Lax In Granite State

ROCK THE VOTE

By Chana R. Schoenberger

New Hampshire has a reputation as a difficult place to register to vote for students who live elsewhere. But the requirements to vote as a student in the Granite State are actually quite simple.

Voting as a student in New Hampshire requires only proof of student status in addition to the usual qualifications for registration. Students can even register at the polls on election day if they swear certain affidavits when they arrive, according to the Rock the Vote posters.

Nevertheless, to encourage student registration, organizations like MTV's Rock the Vote have plastered the Dartmouth campus with posters reminding students of the necessary procedures.

Despite the apparent simplicity of registration procedures, many at Dartmouth do not expect a large student turnout at Tuesday's primary.

"We've had a few registration drives. They're still going on this week," said senior Sabrina M. Serrentino, the producer of the Dartmouth Election Network.

She attributed the limited response to the registration drive to two factors.

"A lot of students aren't New Hampshire residents or interested in getting involved at this stage of the process," she said. "Plus, about half the students are Democrats, so why vote?"