Alum Gives $13 Million For Union Renovation

New Humanities Center To Be Named for Barkers

By Jay S. Kimmelman

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Jeremy R. Knowles announced this week that the former Harvard Union will be renamed for patrons Robert R. Barker '36 and his wife, Elizabeth S. Barker.

The couple's recent $13 million donation will provide the University with more than half of the $25 million needed to transform the Union into a new Humanities Center which will bear the name Barker Hall.

"It is wonderful to be able to recognize the generosity and commitment of Bob and Betty Barker in this way," Knowles said.

Robert Barker has previously served as president of the Board of Overseers, member of the FAS Dean's Council and chair of the visiting committee to the University's Art Museums. He is also a former director of the Harvard Management Company and former president of the Harvard Club of New York City.

Currently, Barker works as a general partner for Barker, Lee & Co. in New York City.

"Bob and Betty Barker have been steadfast friends of Harvard for so long," said President Neil L. Rudenstine. "I am delighted that their names will always be associated with the great Union building."

"Few people have done as much for Harvard, and in so many different ways, as Bob Barker," said Robert G. Stone Jr. '45, national campaign chair and FAS campaign co-chair.

A portion of the donation was given to Harvard through a trust fund created in 1983, whose interest was meant to provide FAS with financing for an unnamed project. The second part of the donation was made through the University's current five-year, $2.1 billion capital campaign by the Barkers and the J.M.R. Barker Foundation.

According to Barker, all of his previous gifts to the University have been anonymous.

Although he said he was hesitant about having his name adorn the building, Barker added that he was pleased.

"I'm ashamed to confess it," Barker said. "I think it's too much, too glorious, but the answer is we couldn't resist."

But at least one person said he feels the gift is not the most important issue of the day.

H.A. Crosby Forbes '50, who is secretary of the

H.A. Crosby Forbes '50, who is secretary of the Committee to Save the Great Hall of the Harvard Union, said the Barkers may be ignorant of the changes to the Great Hall which their donation will fund.

"I think you can say that if [Barker] is as unaware of what the plans entail, just as the majority of people seem to be, I think he'll be in for a sad surprise," Forbes said