Community BRIEFS

* PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE *

After Koo Resigns, Bahat Named PBHA Treasurer

Roy E. Bahat '98 was named treasurer of Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) Thursday after Gene Koo '97 resigned.

Koo, who will continue as director of the Chinatown Team Program, said he issued his resignation because of personal reasons.

The move is unrelated to the student organization's dealings with University officials, according to PBHA President Andrew J. Ehrlich '96-'97.

"It's just a matter of time commitments and personal things going on in my life," Koo said.

Ehrlich said Bahat was the only candidate considered by the 60 program directors of PBHA.

"Roy's wonderful. We're lucky to have someone so smart and eager," Ehrlich said.

Bahat, who had been the organization's publicity/public relations coordinator, was defeated by Koo in December elections.

Bahat will take over immediately. Koo's term officially began on January 31.

Bahat, who in December helped organize a student rally protesting College decisions regarding the administration of PBHA, said he was glad to be a part of the organization.

"The programs that Phillips Brooks House has are crucial to the community," Bahat said. "To help them in any way is an honor."

Bahat will be replaced as publicity/public relations coordinator by Daniel J. Adam '97. --Jal D. Mehta

* POLICE *

Former Harvard Chief Takes Post at Northwestern

Former Harvard Police Chief Saul L. Chafin has left his current position at Vanderbilt University to assume a similar post at Northwestern, according to The Vanderbilt Hustler.

Chafin, who left Harvard for Vanderbilt in 1983, worked at that university for 13 years. He will assume his new post on February 19.   --The Crimson Staff