Hyman's First Term Successful

By The CRIMSON Staff

When rosy-cheeked Robert M. Human '98-'97 was elected president of the Undergraduate Council last fall, we considered it a risky experiment with an inexperienced, though undoubtedly dedicated executive. To our jubilant surprise, the semester has proved to be the council's most successful in recent memory. It has been scandal free and chock full of practical improvements for the student body. Though the internal workings of the council are far from perfect and its voice on campus issues is notably weak, we applaud the council for reinstating Hyman to the council presidency last week in order to allow him to continue his quest for an effective and relevant student government.

To begin with, Hyman's term has been untainted by the unscrupulous antics to which the council has been prone in the past. It's good to know that council leaders no longer engage in money laundering, vote-fixing and other such nefarious activities.

A second highlight of Hyman's tenure has been the assurance of popular elections of the president and vice-president next fall. We find the whole idea of intra-council executive elections downright incestuous. The campus is certainly able to select its own leaders. Council executives are the public servants of the students from whom the council itself derives authority and funding. The decentralization of control from the council to students is a step in the right direction--a democratic one.

The council has also helped to fund activities beneficial to this campus in addition to the funding allotted to student groups. Unrestricted block grants to House Committees allow for easier accessibility to cash, a positive change despite the alleged recent thievery within the Currier House Committee. The council's contributions to the Rape Aggression Defense and Model Mugging programs are an unfortunate, but highly necessary spending priority.

Among the positive activities coordinated by the council, bussing efforts during the holiday vacations and for the Yale game proved to be helpful services for students. The charitable holiday food drive was an example of precisely where the council can be most effective--in the coordination of student effort for good causes. The Valentine's Day Datamatch survey was able to add something to an otherwise dull campus humor life, albeit in an indirect manner. We must, however, note one remarkable faliure which could have and should have been avoided, namely the pathetic direct-dial Washington phone bank. Perhaps all activities can't be winners, but let's not embarrass the student body with such dismal ones.

What's lacking from Hyman's council is enough of a sense of a student voice. The president must serve as a responsive and responsible advocate on behalf of his or her peers when dealing with the Administration. Though Hyman has pushed through resolutions on divestment from Nigeria, anonymous HIV testing procedures at UHS, financial aid assurances and universal key card access, he has been noticeably weak in his public stances, appearances and representations. We hope that Hyman is a more visible and active president this semester in relation to campus issues.

On the whole, Human has had a successful first term. His election opponent, Wesley B. Gilchrist '98, promised shorter meetings. Perhaps that would be a nice change for council members holed up in Harvard Hall late at night. But we're pleased to see a president interested in working hard to make the council relevant and effective to the student body.