Politicians Seek N.H. Votes

Forbes Defends Flat Tax, Attacks Dole

By C.r. Mcfadden, Special to The Crimson

DURHAM, N.H.--Republican Presidential hopeful M. Steve Forbes used campaign stops in New Hampshire Saturday to clarify questions about the flat tax, the issue that has propelled him from a virtual unknown to the front-running candidate in the latest polls.

In an hour-long appearance before a packed cafeteria at Oyster River High School, Forbes made repeated jabs at the "fearmongers in Washington"--including rival candidate U.S. Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.)--whose ads he criticized as "full of bogus misinformation."

After announcing that he would "speak slowly for our friends in Washington," the multi-millionaire publishing executive devoted much of his speech to responding to criticisms of the flat tax.

Forbes vehemently defended the flat tax against a Dole campaign ad that charges that Forbes' plan would raise taxes on middle-class Americans by $2,000 and would result in a $180 billion revenue loss.

Forbes said that while his plan would eliminate federal deductions for mortgage, interest and property taxes, the average American would see a tax cut because personal exemptions would remain in place.

"I hope that Sen. Dole's camp will apologize...for this bogus misinformation," Forbes said. "Instead of costing the people of New Hampshire money, it saves you money."

Although Forbes has previously acknowledged that replacing the current tax code with a 17 percent flat tax could diminish receipts by $40 billion, he maintained that the proposal would actually increase revenue because lower rates would encourage Americans to work harder and save more money.

"The only way to repair America...[is] by eliminating the source of corruption and political power: the tax code," he said.

Forbes, a political newcomer who has surged to a four-point lead over Dole according to yesterday's Concord Monitor poll, said he is saddened by Dole's attack ads but added that he would not be surprised if the "mudslinging" and "chicken little-ing" continued.

"Our friends in Washington know that the flat tax strikes at the heart of their power," Forbes said, "and so they are throwing everything they can at the flat tax."

During a question-and-answer session, Forbes repeatedly bashed the size of the federal government, pledging to abolish several cabinet agencies.

"We're going to start by busting up the [Internal Revenue Service]," he said.

The candidate added that he would privatize the departments of housing and urban development, education, energy and commerce.

While Forbes spoke kindly of President Clinton's community policing program, he promised to take a tougher approach to law enforcement by adopting stiffer sentencing penalties and constructing more prisons.

The Princeton graduate expressed support for traditional Republican educational policies such as school vouchers and school choice initiatives and blasted Goals 2000, Clinton's national educational guidelines.

But Forbes skirted questions on the controversial subject of abortion by claiming that he wants to "see abortion disappear in America" but refusing to say whether he would support a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion--a measure that has been part of the Republican platform since 1980.

The candidate said he would "try to work with Congress" but called for term limits. Forbes also said he would use the presidency as a bully pulpit for enacting reforms.

"I'm going to have to go over the heads of Congress and appeal to the people...to put pressure to move the things along," he said.

The Monitor poll, conducted from Jan. 30 to Feb. 1, shows Forbes with 26 percent of the vote, Dole with 22 percent and political commentator Patrick J. Buchanan and former Gov. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) tied with 13 percent each.

Some 16 percent of likely voters in the Granite State remain undecided 15 days before the nation's first primary, according to the Monitor poll