Fast Times at Blodgett for Aquamen

M. Swimming Has Early Lead at Easterns with National-Level Performances

After the first day of competition in the Eastern Collegiate Championships, the Harvard men's swimming team holds a 23 point lead over second-place Princeton. Six of 21 events have been completed.

In addition to Harvard and Princeton, the U.S. Naval Academy has also proven itself far and above the rest of the field thus far. The standings show a 76 point gap between third-place Navy and fourth-place Columbia.

The Crimson entered Easterns as clear favorites considering its 12-1 overall record and home pool advantage as the races are taking place at Blodgett Pool. Harvard's only defeat came at the hands of nationally-ranked Florida University in early December.

The Crimson began its domination literally from the opening gun. In the day's first event, the 200 meter freestyle relay, Harvard won easily. The relay team's time of 1:20.18 set a new Easterns record.

Additionally, the team of freshman Alex Kurmakov, sophomore Matt Cornue, junior Bryon Butts and sophomore Eric Matuszak qualified provisionally for Nationals by meeting the NCAA B standard of 1:21.79.

Another clearly visible sign of Harvard domination came in the 200-meter individual medley. Harvard swimmers took the top-three places in the day's third event. Matuszak won the race in 1:49.01. He was followed by junior Josh Adams in 1:49.74 and freshman Greg Wriede in 1:49.87. All three Crimson swimmers qualified provisionally for nationals.

Other outstanding performances of the day came from sophomore Brian Younger and senior Jeff Marks who placed second and third, respectively, in the 500 meter freestyle. Both swimmers met the B standard for nationals.

Kurmakov placed second in the 50 meter freestyle earning a provisional qualification for nationals with a time of 20.19.

Harvard's 400 meter medley relay team of freshman James Zenyuh, sophomores Greg Mone and Rob Anagnoson and junior Karl Scheer placed third in its event.

The Championships continue on the Harvard campus through Saturday when the victor will be crowned.