Currier Funds Returned

$12,000 Sent on Szekeres' Behalf

More than $12,000 missing from the Currier House Committee accounts has been returned, house officials said last night.

The check was sent to the University on the behalf of Natalie J. Szekeres '97, the former house committee treasurer who is accused of embezzling the money from the organization, according to Currier House Senior Tutor John D. Stubbs '80.

Stubbs said the recovery of the funds was arranged by Harvard attorney Anne Taylor and Szekeres' lawyer.

Szekeres was scheduled to be arraigned in Middlesex County District Court on Friday, but the hearing was postponed because of inclement weather. It is unclear what turn the legal proceedings will take now.

"[The situation is] out of our hands," Currier House Committee Chair Jocelyn M. Kiley '97 announced at a house committee meeting last night.

Szekeres is spending the year in Landover, Md. A former Crimson reporter who visited her apartment on Saturday morning said she was there, but she declined to comment.

"I will talk when I'm ready," she told the reporter. "There will be a time. But this is not it."

According to Harvard Police Detective Dennis M. Maloney, members of the house committee discovered the money was missing last fall.

On Feb. 6, the police presented their evidence at a show-cause hearing in the district court, where the court clerk decided there was "probable cause" to formally charge Szekeres, according to District Attorney Martin F. Murphy.

At the house committee meeting last night, members suggested that weekly or monthly financial reports be posted in the house to keep residents abreast of the committee's financial situation.

Kiley explained that this had not been done in the past because the Currier House Committee tended to have more money than other house committees, thus publicizing its finances was problematic.

Residents of Currier House last night expressed relief that the money had been returned.

"The house has been in need of money in general, and it's good to have it back and get that straightened up and out of the way," said Samuel C. Nixon '98