Some Students Will Not Use Real Cash at Loker

Where has all the Crimson Cash gone?

In the two months since the January opening of Loker Commons, many students say they have used up most of their allotment of $100 of Crimson Cash given to each Harvard undergraduate.

These students say they will not continue to buy food at Loker Commons after their money runs out, although they will still study there.

"I am definitely only buying coffee here until I run out of my Crimson Cash," says Elizabeth M. Bucar '96, who says she has coffee in Loker every day while working on her government thesis.

Other students agree that they will return to eating their meals in the dining halls when their Crimson Cash runs out.

"I only have $16 left," says Ashley S. Marynick '99. "I went there instead of going to meals, because I like the food and since I had Crimson Cash, it wasn't really costing me anything. Now I'm going to make it to Annenberg to eat."

Students can spend Crimson Cash, which is accessed through identification cards, in restaurants and food stands run by Harvard Dining Services, including Loker Commons.

Crimson Cash is money that has been reallocated from the approximately $3,000 that make up students' board fees.

While students have the option of paying money to put more Crimson Cash on their identification cards, some say they probably will not do that.

"I won't buy more Crimson Cash," Bucar says. "I will go back to cafes in Harvard and Central Square that have better coffee and are less crowded."

Even without Crimson Cash, some students say they will still flock to Loker Commons to enjoy the atmosphere.

"I like to hang out and do work there because it is convenient," said Sabina C. Menschel '99.

"I don't really eat there," says Thomas Y. Kuo '99. "Pretty much it is just a place to hang-out."

As Loker Commons becomes less of a cafeteria and more of a hangout, students say they are more concerned with the atmosphere then the food.

Alexis A. Zeburon '96 says he believes Loker Commons' biggest problem has nothing to do with the food or Crimson Cash.

He says he thinks that by closing early, Harvard is not taking advantage of a great space for students to congregate and study.

"[Loker Commons] should be open 24 hours," Zeburon says