Design School Faculty Meet With Knowles

Representatives from the Department of Architecture at the Graduate School of Design (GSD) met with Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles yesterday to discuss the renovations to the Great Hall of the Harvard Union.

Two weeks ago, the department formally voted to write a letter to President Neil L. Rudenstine and other administrators protesting the decision to divide the Great Hall into three spaces.

"Today's meeting with the representatives from the Department of Architecture was a helpful and thoughtful exchange of news and concerns about the plans and designs for the Union building," Knowles said in a written statement yesterday.

Knowles said the meeting also included a discussion about the four-year process that eventually led to the current renovation plans.

Yesterday afternoon's meeting was the second in two weeks between the Department of Architecture and the administration.

Last week, representatives from the department met with Rudenstine and Provost Albert Carnesale to discuss renovations.

Carnesale said in an interview yesterday that the University has no plans to halt the construction at this time.

"I know of nothing that would lead me to believe that this project would be stopped," Carnesale said. "The stopping at this point would be very expensive. The contracts have been made; the materials bought; and construction started."

This meeting is representative of the frenzy this project has caused both within Harvard and in the outside world. Indeed, the controversy has been the focus of national media attention over the past few weeks.

The Boston Globe has published an article, a few editori- als and a number of letters to the editor concerning the Union. In addition, The New York Times ran a story on the renovation project.

Carnesale said he is disappointed that this issue is being played out in the media in this manner.

Andrew A. Green contributed to the reporting of this story.