W. Lax Faces Rival Princeton

By Alicia Warlick

You could call the Harvard women's lacrosse team the comeback kids. Coming off of a disappointing season last year, the Crimson beat Boston College 11 to four last week and is set to challenge number two nationally ranked Princeton tomorrow at O'Hearey Field.

With Harvard's distinguished history of NCAA competition, including a 1990 national title, last season's failure to make the NCAA tournament was deemed especially disappointing. But, they are turning last year's disappointment around and appear to be on the rampage this season.

"Last year was a real inspiration for us this year" junior cover point Daphne Clark said.

With the leadership of five returning seniors, the team is looking to redeem itself. Not only is the team driven by their goal of tournament qualification, but they've got skills, potential and depth from freshmen to seniors.

The winning equation is simple for the Crimson this season.

"We just need to play to our potential" Clark said.

"We want to make it [the NCAA tournament] badly," freshman Laura Dahman said.

Dahman's attitude easily characterizes the team's spirit and energy which is decidedly focused on the tournament that decides the national championship.

But first, the Harvard women must prove themselves this Saturday against Princeton. While "practice went well this week," Clark said, the team needs more competition to play at the top level required for success in the NCAA tourney.

"Our defense hasn't been challenged" Clark said.

With only one game under their belts last week against a weak Boston College and a canceled game against University of Massachusetts, the women face a real challenge tomorrow as well as an opportunity to step up their level of play.

While the B.C. game was a blow out, it "pointed out strengths and weaknesses of the team," Dahman said.

One strength right now is starting goalie Shaunna Bargoudi. Playing lacrosse for the first time last year as the Crimson's back up goalie, Bargoudi now starts for the Crimson. Last year's starting goalie, Kate Schutt, is taking a leave of absence this semester.

While talent graces the women's team, the coaching staff realizes its role in developing that talent.

With new assistant coaches Liz Brode and Amory Rowe, who practice lacrosse alongside the players, Coach Carole Kleinfelder has the right recipe for success. Coaching the Crimson for twenty years, almost every one competitive on a national level, Kleinfelder has more than proven herself worthy of coaching the impressive amount of women's lacrosse talent at Harvard. Clark says "she's a wonderful coach".

Though the coaching is right, tomorrow's match comes down to the athletes. While Harvard is the under-dog, the women are stepping up to the challenge.

"We feel confident going in," Clark said. "If we play as a team and play smart, we can definitely win this game."

It is this esprit des corps that will carry women's lacrosse to the top along with its dynamic coaching staff.