Randomized Living Can Be Fun

TO THE EDITORS

In response to the "tears and tension" currently being faced by first years in the new randomized housing lottery system, it seems a little premature to be so judgmental. Most of those so vehemently opposed to randomization have never actually been randomized, and so how can they know how it feels or what it entails?

As a rooming group that was actually randomized-"quadded"-to Cabot, no less, and ditched by our blockmates, we can both honestly say we wouldn't change any part of it. Oh, it might have hurt a little the day we found out, as we called home in tears and knew we'd face an unbelievably long commute across the river to practices every morning and afternoon. And classes, how would we ever make it to class? Our grades were going to suffer, our social lives would disappear, and life as we knew it was officially over!

However, sophomore year rolled around, and we didn't die. In fact, after an initial adjustment period, we found that Cabot House, and the whole randomized world we had been thrown into so unwillingly, was not bad at all. In Cabot, we found great friends, amazing tutors, masters who have the best open houses on campus-we've done research on this one-and the first quad house to win the Straus Cup. On the way to the championship women's basketball game just last week-which Cabot won-a good friend mentioned that we identified much more with our house than she did (a very popular river house right in the center of the "big four" that will remain unmentioned). Who would've thought that after the trauma of freshman year randomization, especially when everyone we knew got in right where they wanted, that we'd actually come to love where we are?

What we are asking is that you at least give randomization a chance. What are you so afraid of? The ten minute walk? Losing touch with the friends you made freshman week? Well they're not really such good friends if a mere ten minutes can keep you from ever seeing or speaking to them again. You're all in this together; you're all being randomized instead of just a few unfortunate groups. Sure, it sucks to trek home at three in the morning, and even at noon in the rain and snow, but it's really not cause for a school-wide revolt, or even the tears and tension you might be feeling now. We are not writing this out of bitterness or spite; we just feel that all the fuss is really making mountains out of molehills. It'll all work out fine; don't try to beat the system, just save your judgements on randomization and on the house you end up in until after you've actually tried it. --Margery I. Miller '96   Ellen L. Frump '96