W. Cagers to Battle Darmouth Today

They have already won the Ivy League title.

They have already clinched a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

They have even been featured on Channel 7 News Sports Extra.

What could possibly be left for the Harvard women's basketball team except March Madness?

Dartmouth. 'Nuff said.

Tonight the Crimson (19-6, 12-1 Ivy) heads into Hanover for its most anticipated game of the season. The title is in the bag, and the tourney is just around the corner, but Harvard still has a score to settle.

Last year these same two teams met in the regular season finale for the Ancient Eight crown and a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Playing on its home floor, the Crimson fell to an inspired Big Green team which played far beyond expectations. While the loss hurt badly, it was the scene afterwards that put the sting in Harvard's wound.

"[Dartmouth] humiliated us in front of our home crowd," junior point guard Jessica Gelman said. "They paraded around our gym cutting down our nets, and their fans carried them on their shoulders. They rubbed it in our faces."

Tonight it's payback time for the Crimson.

Harvard clinched the Ivy League championship last Friday night at Brown. But with the exception of a few players waving their jerseys in the air after that contest, the team is saving the celebration for Dartmouth (16-9, 8-5).

Despite taking the title, the Crimson did not play its usual dominating style of basketball. Harvard did come away with two victories, but the players themselves were the first to admit the team's performance was subpar.

"Even though we won, this past weekend was a huge disappointment for us," co-captain Elizabeth Proudfit said. "We did not play well at all."

One person who did play well was sophomore forward Allison Feaster. Feaster turned in two outstanding performances on Friday and Saturday night, scoring a total of 52 points--including a career-high 31-point performances against Brown--and pulling down 23 rebounds.

The Crimson hopes to get a similarly impressive performance from the entire team tonight, not just because Dartmouth is the opponent but also as a stepping-stone into the first round of the NCAA Tournament next week.

"We will feel better about ourselves next week at practice if we have a good game [against Dartmouth]," Proudfit said. "We are definitely not looking past this game, but we are going to use it as preparation for the [NCAA] Tournament."

Harvard is not looking past Dartmouth at all. With 19 victories already in the books, the Crimson has a chance to record a most impressive 20-win regular season at the expense of the hated Big Green.

In addition, Harvard is in the midst of a program-best 12-game winning streak. But perhaps most importantly, this team has a rare shot at redemption.

"I still don't feel like last season ever ended," Gelman said. "[The loss to Dartmouth] was so unexpected. This game can finally put a close on last season."

One thing this game will certainly not bring to a close, though, is this season. Harvard has earned its first trip to the NCAA Tournament, and there is nothing Dartmouth can do about that. But before the Crimson begins its preparation for the Big Dance, it has to attend to a little unfinished business.

"[Last season's] championship game has served as motivation for us all through this year," Proudfit said. "We want to go into Hanover and make a statement. We just need to kick ass."