After N.H. Loss, Dole Sharpens Vision

Greater Organization Propels Senate Majority Leader to Massachusetts Victory

BOSTON--What a difference two weeks can make.

After the Feb. 20 New Hampshire primary, Sen. Robert J. Dole (R-Kan.) was upset by Patrick J. Buchanan and many observers felt his campaign was on the ropes.

But following Dole's sweeping of all eight states in yesterday's Yankee Primary, supporters confidently proclaimed Dole as the candidate who would lead the Republicans to victory against President Clinton.

Many feel Dole's defeats in both New Hampshire and Arizona were a wake-up call that helped revitalize his stagnant campaign.

Although Dole entered the primary season as the clear frontrunner, Buchanan's victory sent a startling message to Dole that the GOP nomination was not in the bag.

Greater organization and the enunciation of a clear vision were the key elements propelling Dole to victory yesterday.

The endorsements of top-ranking Massachusetts Republican officials, including Governor William F. Weld '66, Lt. Gov. Paul Cellucci and State Treasurer Joseph D. Malone '78 helped rally the state's rank-and-file behind Dole.

"[The Massachusetts victory] shows the organizational prowess led by Treasurer Malone in conjunction with all the other elected officials, said Lou Markakis, state events coordinator for Dole.

But organization alone could not have boosted Dole from his lackluster second-place finish in the Granite State to yesterday's impressive victories.

Buchanan gained the support of many voters two weeks ago because of his willingness to engage the issues, while Dole was criticized for avoiding them.

But Dole took a page from Buchanan's strategy book and articulated his own messages with increased clarity and forcefulness.

"[Dole's] vision got sharpened as a result of losing in New Hampshire," Weld said last night at the Colonade Hotel.

After registering a protest vote last month, mainstream Republicans shied away from Buchanan's strong conservative views and returned to the Dole camp yesterday.

But the ideological rifts opened during the primary--which have been widened by a barrage of negative ads--may not heal in time for the November election, according to ABC News correspondent Cokie Roberts.

"If there's a problem with supporting Dole, it won't be about negative ads," Roberts said in an interview with The Crimson. "If the party can't come together, it will be over general issues such as abortion."