Student Reports Attack And Attempted Rape

An attempted rape occurred against a female Harvard student on Linden Street last night at around 10:45 p.m., according to a source close to the student.

Harvard Police would only confirm this morning that an "incident" occurred around Adams House. Police said the case is still under investigation and declined further comment.

According to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the student screamed during the attempted attack and managed to escape unharmed.

"After she screamed, I don't know if he let go or if she ran away," said the source, who spoke to the victim soon after the attack.

The student was taken by a Harvard Police squad car to University Health Services, where she was being questioned about the incident early this morning, the source said.

The alleged assailant apparently escaped by running off Linden Street into the Adams House quad, in front of the masters' house and Randolph House, the source said.

Police searched the area when they arrived at the scene, but were unable to locate a suspect at the time, according to the source.

"Police went around with flashlights and they were searching in the Quad and Randolph House," the source said.

The student did not see the face of the alleged attacker, the source said.

Students in Adams House heard the screams, and four or five came into the street to help the student, the source said. Many others called Harvard Police.

"She screamed and was running down the street," the source said. "The Harvard Police were flooded with calls to the point that they would not answer the phone. After 15 minutes, I hung up and called 911."

Police arrived about three minutes after the screams, the source said, and asked students on the scene if they had seen the alleged attacker.

The source said she observed the incident from a window in Adams House.

"I could see her running and I saw her crying," she said. "I thought it was her but I kept hoping it wasn't. She was running down the street screaming and then people came and helped her.