Szekeres' Arraignment Postponed

The Middlesex District Court yesterday postponed the arraignment of former Currier House Committee treasurer Natalie J. Szekeres '97 until at least Monday because of the inclement weather.

Szekeres had been ordered to appear in court after allegedly embezzling $7,550 from the House Committee.

But because of yesterday's storm, which dropped more than 10 inches of snow on the Boston area, the courthouse was shut down, the clerk's office was closed and jurors were sent home, according to a security officer. The arraignment will be rescheduled on Monday morning.

Szekeres is required by law to attend the arraignment, where she will be formally charged with one count of larceny over $250 by single scheme and will officially enter a plea. By law, the case will go to court with-in 100 days of the arraignment.

Szekeres is spending the year in Landover, Md. Since Logan Airport was closed due to the snowstorm, it is unclear whether Szekeres has arrived in Boston.

According to Harvard Police Detective Dennis M. Maloney, members of the house committee discovered the money was missing last fall.

On Feb. 6, the police presented their evidence at a show-cause hearing in the district court, where the court clerk decided there was "probable cause" to formally charge Szek- eres, according to District Attorney Martin F. Murphy.

If she is found guilty, Szekeres faces a maximum punishment of five years in state prison and a fine of $25,000, Murphy said.

Although the charges cover only $7,550, the house committee is actually missing about $15,000, Maloney said