TOMORROW'S UNABOMBERS

A summary of views, commentary and sometimes comedy.

By --david W. Brown

As the FBI continues to build its case against Theodore J. Kaczynski '62, the prime Unabomber suspect, many media reports have focused on Kaczynski's ties to Harvard College. Much of the country seems to be surprised that such a bizarre character was educated at Harvard. However, many Harvard students are not surprised by these developments at all. In retrospect, it makes sense that a bomber who struck Yale and Berkeley but not Harvard was probably a graduate who still had a bit of respect for his alma mater. And now, many undergraduates are looking around at their classmates with increased interest, wondering who will be suspected of committing odd crimes long after graduation.

It seems that the College might not be too different today than it was about 30 years ago, when Kaczynski was holed up in Eliot House instead of a Montana cabin. In fact, Harvard may now attract even more anti-social freaks and wierdos. It seems that every year brings a new bumper crop of odd first-years to Cambridge. And many of the students who appear normal when they arrive in the Yard soon mutate into loners with disturbing personalities.

Most Harvard students know Kaczynski's type only too well. Almost every undergraduate returns home for vacations with horror stories about classmates who refuse to obey the rules of proper hygeine. We all see fellow students who lock themselves in their rooms for hours at a time and who only respond in grunts when spoken to.

Who is to blame for this situation? Does the admissions staff have a penchant for admitting wierd people? With the overwhelming number of talented students who clamor for admission, perhaps only the misfits stand out. Or maybe Harvard's demanding academic environment brings out the worst qualities in its students. Kaczynski's frustration with a math problem set may have led him to vent his frustration on academics from coast to coast. Or perhaps scheduling final exams before Christmas would prevent Harvard from being responsible for nuturing more accused murderers.

In any case, if you currently share a suite with a mysterious loner, take detailed notes of his or her odd behavior. You will probably need them for your interviews with major television, magazine and newspaper reporters in about 30 years.