Currier Shocked By Drug Arrests

Seniors May Not Be Able to Graduate

By Laura C. Semerjian

As Currier House residents responded with dismay over last Wednesday's arrests of two fellow house members on drug charges, the father of one student said he learned of the mishap just yesterday afternoon.

Meanwhile, university policies leave doubts as to whether the two seniors will be able to graduate at the upcoming June commencement.

William A. Blankenship Jr. '96 and Stephen V. David '96 were each charged with six counts of drug possession and intent to distribute drugs within a school zone.

Blankenship's father, William Sr., a resident of Del City, Okla., said he was unaware of his son's arrest before being contacted yesterday by The Crimson.

"He's never been in any trouble at all," William Blankenship Sr. said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"He's just been a perfect kid--a straight 'A' student in school," he said.

David's father, who was reached at his Alexandria, Va. home, refused to comment.

Many Currier House students expressed regret that the seniors were allegedly involved in criminal activity.

"It's a sad thing to have happened," said a Currier House sophomore who asked that her identity be withheld.

Although Resident Tutor Stephen Marshall said he was not well-acquainted with the duo, he had no ill words about their character.

"They were good guys, as far as I know," Marshall said.

Administrative Action

According to the Administrative Board's User's Guide for Students, students are not usually allowed to graduate if legal action is pending against them.

"[T]he College ordinarily will defer consideration of a case at least for a reasonable period of time, if court action (legal or civil) is pending in relation to a disciplinary case," according to the handbook.

Assistant Dean of Students Virginia L. Mackay-Smith '78 said seniors still facing disciplinary charges at Commencement are officially considered "not in good standing by the College" and will not be awarded their degree.

Mackay-Smith said the College defers consideration of such cases because "the disciplinary and court action are so different in nature."

She said that she expects all students to cooperate with the Administrative Board during any of its investigations.

But the College seeks to avoid placing students in a situation where information they supplied to the Ad Board could be subpoenaed and used against them in court, according to Mackay-Smith.

Disciplinary cases involving seniors are especially difficult to resolve before the end of the academic year, she said.

"When we're very close to the end of the year...in general the College and the University will work closely with the courts" to co-ordinate schedules. she said.

A Six to Eight Week Investigation

Blankenship and David were arrested last Wednesday evening as a result of a six- to eight- week investigation conducted by the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

According to Police Chief Francis D. "Bud" Riley, the investigation began after the HUPD received information from "several areas...that all pointed in [Blankenship and David's] direction."

Riley refused to offer any further details yesterday.

Blankenship and David were officially charged with two counts of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance, two counts of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance within 1,000 feet of a school zone, one count of possession of a class C substance, and one count of possession of a Class D substance.

Currier House is located near Peabody Elementary School on Linnean St.

After their arraignment Friday at the Cambridge District Court, Blankenship and David were released on personal recognizance.

Blankenship and David will appear again in the Cambridge District Court May 22 for a pre-trial conference.

They did not return phone calls yesterday

A Six to Eight Week Investigation