Special Microwaves Will Be Allowed in Rooms

'MicroFridge' Will Be Made Available Next Fall for $85 Per Semester From HSA

By Valerie J. Macmillan

Next fall, students will be able to have a microwave in their room--provided they pay approximately $85 per semester to rent a "MicroFridge" from Harvard Student Agencies (HSA).

Under a trial agreement with Cambridge fire officials, the combination microwave, refrigerator and freezer will be allowed in dorm rooms, under the condition that the ban on cooking in rooms not be lifted.

Presently no cooking appliances are allowed in campus dorms.

"We have had a MicroFridge on display for several months...just about everyone who sees this product or reads about it thinks it's a great idea," said Dan C. Persinger '97, a manager at HSA's Campus Store.

Safety concerns and the cooking ordinance were the most important issues for city officials, according to a report issued by a subcommittee examining the issue.

Persinger added that the MicroFridge has been proven safe.

"The MicroFridge company has literally thousands of units in place all over the country," Persinger said. "At Penn State, they've got one in every room. They have never had a reported incident of a fire or any sort of a dangerous situation involving the MicroFridge."

The MicroFridge has only one plug and the refrigerator/freezer's power is cut off when the microwave is in use, making it less of a hazard than having both a standard microwave and refrigerator in a room.

"We were able to demonstrate that number one, it's a safe product, and number two, it's an energy efficient product," Persinger said.

Under the terms of the trial, spot inspections by Cambridge fire officials will be allowed and the trial permit could be revoked if problems arise.

Nienke C. Grossman '99, a student member of the subcommittee that worked to get the MicroFridge approved, told the Committee on House Life (COHL) that the $85 fee was comparable to what was charged on other campuses.

Grossman enthusiastically described the MicroFridge to the COHL, calling it a "great product." She said her sister had rented one for her dorm room and enjoyed using it.

Persinger said that since HSA is a non-profit agency, it is not going to exploit its monopoly on the product.

"We're a non-profit organization," he said. "We're just trying to expand our services."

"The revenues generated...will ultimately be paid out in student wages."