Mather

The austere cement towers that make up Mather House have long served as an outpost for athletes.

Because Mather was one of the less popular river houses under non-ordered choice, athletes would list it as one of their four picks to avoid being placed in the Quad.

Master Sandra Naddaff says she sees randomization as a chance for Mather to diversify its activities and club affiliations along with the make-up of its resident population.

"[Co-master] Leigh Hefrey and I were very much in favor [of randomization] precisely because we love the house and the character it has. We just think that there is a population at Harvard not represented in the house," Naddaff says.

But Susan E. DeRoberts '97, house committee vice chair, says that although there is a large number of athletes living in Mather, the overall character of the house is already diverse because of the myriad interests of its students--athletes or not.

"All the athletes are involved in other activities: music, community service, more than just playing sports," DeRoberts says.

House Committee Social Chair Christina M. Slattery '97 says that in addition to the house character, many residents chose to live in Mather because the make-up of its physical plant comfortably accommodates large rooming groups.

"[Mather is] definitely the athletic house on the surface," says Slattery. "Large rooming groups are another feature [of the house]."

But Naddaff says randomization will only add to the house's character.

"We will be welcoming and make people feel that [they belong] even if they don't fit the dominant stereotype," Naddaff says.

For example, Naddaff says she would like Mather to increase its role in the arts. Naddaff points to the admission this year of a blocking group of 13 musicians, which includes the ska band "Flubber," as a potential catalyst for an infusion of music into the house.

"One of my ambitions is to have a musical [production] in Mather," says Naddaff. "This is a great opportunity to get new activities in Mather so that everyone can benefit."

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III says Mather has had a strong reputation as an athletic house since 1958, but that is only one of the many images he associates with the house.

"Mather has always been a strong democratic center, with many residents involved in student government," Epps says.

Epps adds that the enthusiasm of Mather residents has worked to shift the atmosphere and appearance of the house.

But randomization promises to change more than just house atmosphere.

Naddaff says that with the onset of randomization, she will seek to promote diversity, while maintaining community spirit through her personal interaction with students.

"We always felt the sooner we made Mather a place [all] students could belong, the easier things would be later," she says.

Hoping to make the incoming group of students comfortable in Mather, Naddaff says she encourages them to attend one of the house's functions.

Mather hosts a series of informal dinners for sophomores and Naddaff holds biweekly open houses for current and future residents.

Naddaff, who calls randomization "a great experiment," says she looks forward to reshaping Mather's community.