A ROTC Solution

TO THE EDITORS

For an institution which prides itself on being the premier educational institution in the world and one that values toleration, diversity and "rational discourse," I am baffled that the Undergraduate Council would recommend that the University ban ROTC ceremonies. Perhaps some of the undergraduates need remedial tutoring on the meaning of toleration and diversity. Is the appropriate response to percieved "discrimination" to retaliate by discrimination and punative measures? I doubt it. Can't we do better than this?

I've got a better idea--one that might foster dialogue. Allow the ROTC ceremonies and then invite the new graduates who are entering the service of their country to tip a beer at John Harvard's with those who disagree with the present governmental policy. Let us not forget that this policy is one over which the ROTC students have no control. While I can't say that the ensuing discussion would be entirely rational, it would be more in keeping with our claimed appreciation for diversity and tolerance than the intolerant and punitive measures being proposed by the Undergraduate Council. --Rev. R. Stephen Powers, HDS '96   Lt. Commander, U.S. Naval Reserve