Bombing Suspect Recalled as Loner

Agents Search for Evidence Connecting Kaczynski to 18-Year Spree

By Connie Chang

Who is Theodore J. Kaczynski'62, the Unabomber suspect charged yesterday with possession of bomb components?

As agents from the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms yesterday continued to search his secluded Montana cabin for evidence tying him to a deadly series of bombings that occurred over a 18-year period, Harvard graduates racked their brains for memories of the quiet math concentrator.

Most have a hard time recalling the face or name of their notorious classmate, according to an Associated Press report. And though Kaczynski shared a suite in Eliot House with six other students, he rarely interacted with anybody, according to the Boston Globe.

One of Kaczynski's suitemates, Patrick S. MacIntosh '66, remembered him as a very introverted individual.

"Ted was somebody who was different," MacIntosh said in an interview yesterday. "We didn't have the compassion to pay attention to Ted. We were too busy trying to survive [at Harvard]."

"I thought Ted was a private person, but he sure made a god awful mess of his room and that should have been a clue," he quipped.

Other former Eliot residents who remember Kaczynski say they have neither detailed nor fond memories.

"All I can recall is eating with him a number of times," said Richard Adams'62. "Not by choice. I never liked to sit with him because he wouldn't talk. It was always a very unpleasant, strange experience...He had the look of a guy who didn't fit in."

Federal officials have found a partially assembled pipe bomb, chemicals and 10 three-ring binders of notes on making explosive devices during searches of Kaczynski's cabin.

The charges against the suspected Unabomber include possession of bomb parts, but make no mention of the bomb spree which left three dead and 23 maimed during a nearly two decade period.

Agents said the search of Kaczynski's cabin would last several more days.

"It's going very slowly because we're not sure if it's booby-trapped," said a federal agent speaking on condition of anonymity. "We have an explosives ordinance team x-raying everything before we touch it."