U.C. Votes to Bring Pharcyde To Springfest

The rap group Pharcyde will play at Springfest, the Undergraduate Council decided last night.

The council had the option of paying $7500 for the band Buffalo Tom or $8250 for Pharcyde, and council members decided Pharcyde was worth the additional expense.

"We get what we pay for. It's a bigger name, a bigger group." said Josiah T. Epps '98. "I went to see them when they opened for Cypress Hill and they were very good."

The money to hold Springfest came in part from $15,000 given to the council by Coca-Cola and Harvard Dining Services after HDS Director Michael P. Berry made his decision to resign with Coke.

In an unusually short meeting, the council allocated the money from Coca-Cola to three of its funds.

The council's committee fund, which pays for activities such as Springfest, will get 32 percent of the money; the grants fund, which gives money to student groups, will get 60 percent; and the operations fund will get eight percent.

The council also changed the structure of the grant fund.

Previously, the unclaimed money from grants rolled over to the committee fund. Last night's resolution, which passed by a vote of 39-2, returns the money to the grant fund.

"Every student on campus outside of the U.C. would support this," said Eric D. Albert '98, sponsor of the bill. "Money originally allocated to grants should stay in grants."

Rudd W. Coffey '97 and Elizabeth A. Haynes '98, who are run- ning, respectively, for president and vice president of the council voted against the bill.

The council also passed uncontested resolutions to support and co-sponsor the Radcliffe Union of Students' (RUS) Take Back the Night, HASTE's discussion forum about campus safety and a brunch by the Committee for the Equality of Women at Harvard (CEWH)