Senate Hopefuls Kerry, Weld Debate in Boston

Sparks Fly in First Of Seven Planned Meetings of the Two Candidates

BOSTON--Sparks flew in the U.S. Senate race last night as the first of seven debates between Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld '66 and Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass) got underway at Fanieul Hall.

Although the debate took place seven months before the election, the event was highly anticipated in a race that is being closely watched around the nation.

Kerry wasted no time in attacking the Republican's stance on welfare, one of the issues that the governor prides himself on.

Portraying Weld as a callous politician, Kerry accused him of making "a political career out of picking on people on welfare" and called the governor's standards for welfare "Draconian."

"You spend more time beating up on welfare recipients than you do on finding plans to cover them," Kerry added.

Weld angrily defended welfare reform policy as the only measure that would eliminate poverty and the welfare mentality.

"We have to wage an all-out war on fatherlessness and the culture of welfare dependency," Weld said.

The tax cuts that Weld has created in Massachusetts were criticized by Kerry as well.

Refuting the notion that the cuts helped the working family, Kerry said that they instead directly benefited corporations and wealthy individuals.

"Out of 10 tax cuts [Weld] has given, 96 cents out of one dollar that is cut goes to corporations and wealthy individuals," Kerry said.

Not only did Kerry blast Weld's record at last night's debate, but he also took the opportunity to respond to recent criticism that he has no definitive record in the senate. Kerry attempted to give Massachusetts voters a clearer sense of what he has accomplished in his years as senator.

"I'm proud I led the fight for 100,000 new police officers," Kerry said.

He continued citing a list of his accomplishments, including licensing and housing safety laws.

However, Weld had a few counter-attacks up his sleeve. He sharply criticized Kerry and cited bills that Kerry supported which may not fare well with Americans concerned about crime and the economy.

"Kerry voted against the death penalty for cop killers and voted against the balanced budget three times.... I hope everyone studies Senator Kerry's voting record," Weld said.

Kerry adamantly denied voting against these bills and repeatedly accused Weld of misrepresenting the facts on issues such as the gasoline tax hike and the death penalty.

"Governor, I don't know who does your research--maybe its Oliver Stone," Kerry said in response to Weld's attacks.

The senator severely rebuked Weld for using the death penalty as an issue in the race, calling Weld "shameless."

While Kerry characterized Weld as a cold-hearted politician who misrepresented the facts, Weld associated Kerry with the big government of Washington that prevents progress from being made.

"John Kerry's Washington has sabotaged us. Kerry's Washington has been part of the problem, not part of the solution," Weld said.

Throughout the hour-long debate, there were very few issues in which the candidates saw eye to eye,. Weld and Kerry agreed on whether to allowing them casino gambling in southeastern Mass. and Weld applauded Kerry's service in Vietnam.

After the debate, supporters on both sides declared disappointment at the behavior of the opposition.

"I was surprised at Weld's misrepresentation," Edward M. Kennedy '54-56 (D-Mass) told The Crimson.

The debate has been regarded by many as one that will set the agenda for each of the candidate's campaigns.

"The first debate is always important...it provides the opportunity for the candidates to size each other up and set the issues agenda for the rest of the race," said Leslie Goodman, a fellow at the Institute of Politics.

Both Sen. Kerry and Gov. Weld are highly popular officials who have drastically different approaches to creating a prosperous state.

This election has been regarded as symbolic of choices that other voters will have to make across the nation.

"It's a very important senate race for the country," Goodman said.

The debate was co-sponsored by the Boston Globe, the Boston Herald and four television stations and was broadcast live locally