Harvard Benefactor Dies at 89

Frances L. Loeb Gave $70.5 Million Last Year

Frances L. Loeb, who with her husband John L. Loeb '24 donated $70.5 million to Harvard about a year ago, died Friday at the age of 89.

Frances Loeb maintained a lifetime of philanthropy, and was a benefactor of Barnard College, the Loeb Student Center at New York University, the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at Vassar College, Central Park in New York City and Lewisohn Stadium.

The New York Times quoted her as saying in reference to one of her donations, "One thing I had in my mind, I'm never going to be the richest person in the cemetery."

The pledge she made with her husband to Harvard in March of 1995 is the ninth largest in the history of higher education.

Harvard College is the largest beneficiary of the money, receiving $39.2 million, most of which will be used to endow six new professorships and add to the endowment of 15 junior faculty positions the Loebs endowed in 1982.

The remainder of the money will go to the Graduate School of Design, the School of Public Health, the Loeb Drama Center and Memorial Church.

The timing of when Harvard will actually receive the money is uncertain because John Loeb set aside part of his estate as a deferred gift.

Frances Loeb was a trustee of Vassar and Cornell University and an overseer of the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center.

She is survived by her husband John and their five children.