Senior Leadership Keys Successful M. Lax Season

The Harvard men's lacrosse team's win over Dartmouth last Saturday was special not only because the Crimson ended its regular season with a seven game winning-streak, but also because it was the last home game for eight very talented seniors.

Both individually and as a whole, these seniors have contributed so much to the Harvard lacrosse program and are a big part of the reason Harvard will go to the NCAA's this year for the first time since 1990.

"I think the whole group contributes, but especially, people really underestimate the leadership of the seniors, and those little intangibles that you can't really measure, day in and day out," co-captain Chris Wojcik said. "The close-knit senior class, the special bonding between the whole team--that's something that's really over-looked but that's been a huge part of our season....we're getting these [younger players] ready to play and they're coming along with us."

"I think we keep the team together," senior defenseman Matt Sheerin said. "Especially the last couple of years, we had some bad times and really needed the support from each other--which we got."

Perhaps the greatest example of senior leadership was shown by co-captain Mike Eckert last Saturday.

Looking to break the all-time Harvard scoring record, Eckert tied it instead with two goals--not exactly a shabby feat--partly because of Dartmouth's conscious effort to shut down the potent attackman.

But, instead of trying to force shots or make stupid assists, Eckert played like Eckert and gave other players a chance to take advantage of the Big Green's tight coverage on him.

"I wish he had gotten [the all-time Harvard scoring record] out of the way, but I know he's going to get it..." Anderson said. "Part of the discipline of being a good attackman is working off the ball and letting other people generate opportunities. [Mike] has the discipline to care more about the team than about his record, and I think that was clear today."

Whether its Eckert's unselfish but brilliant offensive abilities on attack; Chris Wojcik's powerful play-making talent; the Marvin brothers' explosiveness down the field; Tim Browne, Matt Sheerin and Matt Stamski's defensive work ethic; or middie Pat McCulloch's awesome face-off skills--unfortunately, McCulloch was injured at the beginning of the season and did not return; the seniors' depth and experience have made this season unforgettable.

But it's not over yet. The Crimson will head up to Ithaca, New York this weekend as the eleventh-seeded team in the NCAA tournament.

The Crimson will play sixth-seeded Hofsta. Considering that the Crimson was ranked sixth in the nation in the coaches's poll before they beat Dartmouth this weekend, it is surprising that Harvard received such a low seed in the tournament.

But the Crimson has proven this season that it can beat teams ahead of it in the rankings. Harvard upset Duke on the road when the Blue Devils were ranked eighth in the nation, and it defeated Brown in Providence when Brown was ranked seventh.

"We're not afraid of anyone..." Anderson said. "We know we have beaten teams that have beaten the number two team and number three team [in the nation]. Whether or not we can play at that level again--I'm absolutely sure we can."