Softball Dominates Big Green, Garners Eleventh Straight Win

It's fitting that the Harvard softball team plays its home games at Soldiers Field, because they all turn into slaughters.

Dartmouth was the latest victim, falling by a 10-2 count to Harvard on Saturday. The Crimson scored two runs in the fifth and sixth innings on the rainy battlefield, which prompted the eight-run mercy rule. It was the third opponent in a row that Harvard has embarrassed that way.

The second game of the double-header was postponed to tomorrow at 4 p.m.

"We gave them a good toilet flush," said junior third baseman Katina Lee, describing how the team sees the slaughter rule.

Harvard (20-17, 8-3 Ivy) broke the contest open in the third inning, tallying five runs to untie a 1-1 game.

Sophomore Jenny Franzese and junior co-captain Melissa Reyen each had on RBI and senior Danielle Feinberg drove in two, with the fifth run coming home on a passed ball.

A home run by Dartmouth's Jane Peachy got one run back for the Big Green (6-31, 0-11), but that would be all of the scoring that the visitors would do on the day.

Sophomore pitcher Tasha Cupp exited at the end of the inning to give work to fellow sophomore Heather Brown, who allowed only one Dartmouth hit in her two innings of work.

In the bottom of the fifth, the rains started to get harder, and with the umpires content not to call the game Harvard decided to end things itself.

Freshman Tara LaSovage led off with a single, stole second and took third when a Dartmouth outfielder fell down while making a catch.

A double to right-center by freshman catcher Terri Teller scored her, and pinch-runner Mandy Wills crossed the plate on a co-captain Amy Reinhard double.

That put Harvard's lead at 8-2--only two runs away from putting Dartmouth out of its misery. The end was in sight.

The Crimson loaded the bases with no outs, setting the stage. LaSovage brought home one with an infield single, and senior Sue Traub came home on a passed ball for the final run.

Notes

Harvard is still hoping to get a spot in the ECAC Tournament next weekend, and its showings in recent games will certainly help that cause. The Crimson has won its last 11 games, which will make the selection committee happy. The team will find out tonight if it will be going.